630 Chronicles of the Cape Fear Rwer auditorium. ‘This custom was general with the churches of the city, but was particularly noticeable in the Methodist Church. After the fire of 1843 the church was rebuilt on the same site. This structure, which presented an imposing appearance, met a fate similar to that of its predecessor, for it was destroyed by the great conflagration of February 21, 1886. In it also were heard many prominent Methodist preachers. It was a favorite church with Bishops Whiteford Smith and William Capers, whose names are preserved in some of the older families of Wilmington. Surrounding the church was the graveyard, with numerous vaults against the outer wall of the enclosure. After the fire of 1886, as many as practicable of the gravestones and bodies were removed to Oakdale Cemetery. The remains of William Meredith, which had been buried under the porch of the old church, were removed to the new Grace Church, where they now rest under the pulpit. When the second church structure was burned, the Temple of Israel, or Jewish synagogue, located on the corner of Fourth and Market Streets, was tendered to the congregation for use, and for two years the Methodists worshiped there, thus proving the benevolent spirit of the Hebrew citizens of Wilmington. The lot on the corner of Front and Walnut Streets was sold and a new location acquired on the corner of Fourth and Mul- berry Streets, where the present Grace Methodist Episcopal Church was erected and its lecture-room occupied for the first time in the spring of 1888. The edifice stands as a handsome and worthy memorial to the faith and principles of Methodism. Its present membership is about 820. Through the influence of members of Grace Church, the name of Mulberry Street was changed to Grace Street. As a matter of interest, it may be stated that in earlier years the Methodists of Wilmington were under the supervision of the Virginia Conference, and later were placed under the care of the South Carolina Conference; so that for some time there was a division among them between the conferences. Later, the church was under the sole control of the South Carolina Con- ference; and when it was proposed to have the North Carolina Conference take over the Wilmington church, there was a stub- born protest among several of the leading members, the effects of which were not overcome for many years. Among the ministers who served the Front Street (now Peace Restored 631 Grace) Church may be mentioned Rev. Jonathan Dally, Rev. Charles F. Deems, D.D., Rev. R. S. Moran, D.D., Rev. James Mann, D.D., Rev. E. A. Yates, D.D., Rev. Frank Wood, Rev. W. S. Creasy, D.D., Rev. W. C. Norman, Rev. R. A. Willis, Rev. A. P. Tyer, Rev. John N. Cole, Rev. N. M. Watson, Rev. T. A. Smoot, D.D., Rev. J. C. Wooten, and Rev. J. D. Bundy. Firre Avenue Mreruopist EprrscopaL CHURCH. The name of the Fifth Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church was changed in 1915 from the Fifth Street Methodist Episcopal Church, which name it had borne since its organization, about the year 1847. | Located in the southern part of the city, the Fifth Avenue church, throughout its long history of about sixty-eight years, has had a strong hold upon the Methodists in that section of Wilmington. Its membership now numbers about 750. The old Fifth Street Church was originally a wooden struc- ture, but this was torn down in the year 1889 to give place to the present handsome building of brick, which is an ornament to the neighborhood. When the present building was erected, it was equipped with chimes, which are well remembered as pealing forth before every service some of the old tunes of the Christian church ; but after a few years the chimes were given up. Among the ministers who have served the Fifth Avenue Church may be named Rev. T. Page Ricaud, Rev. D. H. Tuttle, Rev. R. C. Beaman, Rev. L. L. Nash, D.D., Rev. W. L. Cun- ninggim, Rev. J. H. Hall, Rev. S. M. Shamburger, Rev. A. McCullen, Rev. K. D. Holmes, Rev. G. T. Adams, Rev. A. J. Parker, BLADEN Srreet Metuopist Episcopat CHURCH. The Bladen Street Methodist Episcopal Church came into existence in response to a need felt by many Methodists living in the northern part of the city for a place of worship of their own. It was organized about the year 1887, and has had a Steady growth and a successful career, the present membership being about 235. Among the ministers who have served the church are the Rev. Mr. Sawyer, Rev. Frank Butt, Rev. A. J. Parker, Rev. J. B.