628 Chronicles of the Cape Fear River Presbyterian Church of Wilmington. Over the main entrance is a marble tablet with the following appropriate inscription : Winter Park Presbyterian Church, Erected to the glory of God and asa Perpetual memorial of Margaret Tannahill Hall, Beloved wife of B. F. Hall and Daughter of Alexander and Jane Dalziel Sprunt. A. D. 1915. The edifice was dedicated on March 5, 1916. The cere- monies were imposing and the attendance so large that the building could scarcely accommodate all. The sermon on this occasion was preached by Rev. Alexander Sprunt, D.D., of Charleston, 8. C., a brother of Mr. James Sprunt and Mrs. Hall. Bethany Presbyterian Church is a mission conducted by the First Presbyterian Church. The handsome little structure used by the congregation was built in 1912 as a gift of Mr. James Sprunt. It was dedicated on November 10, 1912. The work is in charge of Rev. Andrew J. Howell, and succeeded the religious services formerly conducted in a schoolhouse which was the property of Mr. and Mrs. William A. Lineker, English people who settled in that section of the county. The school- house is now known as the “Lineker Memorial Hall.” The Delgado Presbyterian Church is also a mission sup- ported by the First Presbyterian Church at Delgado Cotton Mills, which are now located within the corporate limits of the city. The work began as a Sunday-school on January 8, 1905, under the superintendency of Mr. Andrew J. Howell, then an elder of the First Presbyterian Church, who later became a minister and was placed in charge of the mission. In the mean- time, the Rev. J. M. Plowden served the church as supply for several years. The influence of the Delgado Chureh has been very great in the southeastern part of the city, and the employees of the Delgado Mills are indebted to it for many of the religious advantages which they have enjoyed. In connection with the Delgado Church, Marion Mission 1s maintained by Mr. James Sprunt, who erected for it a hand- some building in 1907. A kindergarten is conducted in the Peace Restored 629 building during the school months, and a daily luncheon served to the children. The rooms are also used for Sunday-school and social purposes. In addition to the above, a Sunday-school is conducted by the First Presbyterian Church, under the superintendency of Mr. G. ©. Bordeaux, at Sunset Park; and Dr. McClure, of St. An- drew’s, preaches regularly at Castle Haynes, with the end in view of establishing a Presbyterian mission at that place when interest develops sufficiently. The First Presbyterian Church has a chapel on the corner of Twelfth and Queen Streets, in which it supports a Sunday- school for colored people; and St. Andrew’s maintains a similar work on the corner of Eighth and Harnett Streets. Rev. W. M. Baker, who graduated from the Union Theological Seminary, took charge of this work for both churches on June 15, 1913, and still has it in hand. Grace Mrernopist EptscopaL CHurcH. Prior to 1886, the leading Methodist Church of Wilmington stood on the northeast corner of Front and Walnut Streets. It was the Front Street Methodist Episcopal Church. The exist- ence of the church dated far back into the earlier life of the city, and it included many of its influential families. The first or- ganization of Methodists in Wilmington was formed on Decem- ber 24,1797. This was the beginning of the Old Front Street Church. . _ The leading spirit of early Methodism in the city was Wil- liam Meredith, who died in 1799, leaving a dwelling and a chapel to the church. He made provision, also, for the enlarge- ment of both, and in a few years a congregation of 1,500, whites and blacks, was reported as worshiping in the enlarged church. In 1800, Nathan Jarrett was appointed the first regular preacher of the church, which was at that time made a “station,” according to Methodist custom. In 1843, a fire which devastated a large part of the city de- stroyed the commodious structure which the congregation had used for many years as a place of worship. In it the fervid oratory of many Methodist divines of former years stirred the members to a deep religious life. In the gallery, there was always present a considerable number of negro slaves, joining in the worship of God with their masters, who sat in the main