Chronicles of the Cape Fear River IMMANUEL PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH. Immanuel Presbyterian Church is an outgrowth of the mis- sionary spirit of the First Presbyterian Church. For many years the latter had maintained a mission Sunday-school and industrial classes in the southern part of the city, making use of different locations for the purpose. The work had a very substantial growth, so that in May, 1890, it was decided to erect a new building on the site which had been used, near the corner of Front and Queen Streets, the building to be called Immanuel Chapel. Ground was broken on May 26, and the structure was completed before the end of 1890. A very mate- rial subscription towards the new building was obtained from a legacy left by Mrs. E. E. Burruss. The remainder of the cost was met by subscriptions from members of the First Pres; byterian Church. The first service was held in the new chapel on January 4, 1891, and on February 1, 1891, it was dedicated to the wor- ship of God, Rev. Dr. Peyton H. Hoge preaching the sermon from texts illuminated on the walls of the building. Mr. J. M. W. Elder, who later became an ordained minister, took charge of the work of the mission as a lay missionary on January 1, 1888. He was succéeded by Rev. William McC. Miller, of Virginia, in October of that year. Later, the pulpit of the chapel was supplied in turn by Revs. George H. Cornehl- son, jr., B. E. Wallace, P. C. Morton, E. E. Lane, J. C. Story, and ©. W. Trawick, until March 1, 1904. On May 16 of that year Rey. J. S. Crowley, who had served as a missionary in the Congo region of Africa, became stated supply, and continues to fill the pulpit at the present time. Immanuel Church is now a separate organization, although its support and the personnel of its workers are to a large extent obtained from the First Presbyterian Church. It has had a large and abiding influence in the moral and religious uplift of the people living in the southern part of Wilmington; and the long pastorate of Mr. Crowley has brought a large growth to the membership of the church, which now numbers two hundred and thirty-three. In connection with Immanuel Church, Immanuel kinder- garten is maintained, and has proved to be a great blessing to the children of that section of the city. Also, as an outgrowth Peace Restored 627 of the work of the church, the Boys’ Brigade came into exist- ence. Immanuel Building, standing on the corner of Front and Queen Streets, was erected a few years ago through the benefi- cence of Mr. James Sprunt, to be used for religious, educa- fional, and social purposes in connection with Immanuel Church. Mr. Sprunt also gave the two residences adjoining for the use of the church. Orner PrespyTerIAN Cuurcues In New Hanover Counry. There are other Presbyterian Churches in New Hanover County, some established at a very early date. Mention has been made of the Pearsall Memorial Church, in East Wilmington, in connection with the sketch of St. Andrew’s Church. , The Winter Park Presbyterian Church is an outgrowth of the mission work conducted by the First Presbyterian Church in the Chadbourn Memorial Chapel at Winter Park Gardens. This chapel was built by Mr. James H. Chadbourn, jr., as a memorial to his children, George and Blanche. Services were first conducted there by Rev. J. M. Wells, D.D., and Rev. J. M. Plowden. Later, the work fell into the hands of Rev. Andrew J - Howell, laboring under the direction of the session of the First Presbyterian Church. There is a present membership of eighty-two, and the prospects are bright for a large growth Im the near future. The congregation was duly organized as a Separate church on December 14, 1913, with Mr. Howell as Stated supply. With consent of the Chadbourn family, the Memorial Chapel has been moved to another location on the Same lot, and a new church of brick, of colonial style of archi- tecture, has just been completed and handsomely furnished. The modern arrangement and complete furnishings of this church building afford conveniences unsurpassed, and its great usefulness as a house of the Lord is clearly foreseen. Its srounds have been tastefully laid out and beautified, and the Opinion expressed by many is that no more attractive and sub- Stantial church edifice and grounds are to be found in the Cape Fear section. The whole is the gift of Mr. James Sprunt, who erected the church as a memorial to his sister, Mrs. Margaret Tannahill Hall. Mrs. Hall was a devoted member of the First +