612 Chronicles of the Cape Fear Rwer organ and a beautiful font were purchased. Also, a handsome pulpit, given by a communicant of the church, and a memorial tablet to Dr. Drane, who had died during the epidemic of yellow fever, were placed in the chancel. In October, 1869, Mr. Terry resigned and Rev. George Patterson, at that time assist- ant at St. James’s, was called to the rectorship and assumed his duties on Easter Monday, March 11, 1870. He continued with the church ten years and gained the love of his people and the good will of all the community. The inscription on the memo- rial window placed in the church by his friends, both in and out of the parish, testifies to the feeling entertained: “Chap- lain Third North Carolina Regiment, Confederate States Army. Erstwhile rector of this church. Faithful soldier and servant unto his life’s end.” Dr. Patterson was succeeded by Rev. Thomas D. Pitts, who served two years and resigned on account of ill health in his family, which necessitated their removal from Wilmington. In 1883 Rev. James Carmichael accepted the rectorship of St. John’s and served most acceptably for fourteen years. In October, 1907, at the insistent call of the vestry and the earnest desire of the congregation, Rev. W. EK. Cox became rector. The church has prospered greatly under his ministra- tion and he has endeared himself to all by his earnestness of purpose and untiring zeal in his work, his hands being upheld by the faithful wardens, Mr. H. G. Smallbones,* who has held the office of warden for thirty-four years, and Mr. Washington Catlett, who has for a long time been warden and also superin- tendent of the Sunday-school. CHURCH OF THE Goop SHEPHERD. While the present site of the Church of the Good Shepherd is at Sixth and Queen Streets, where for more than twenty years a work of growing usefulness has been carried on, the parish really grew out of a previous work begun in 1870, dur- ing the rectorship at St. James’s of Dr. Watson, the late re- vered bishop of East Carolina, in what was then known as St. James’s Home, on the present St. James’s Square. This valuable property was the gift of Dr. Armand J. DeRosset, of honored memory in the church and community. In 1870 his daughter, Mrs. Kate DeRosset Meares, opened a 1Mr. Smallbones has since died. Peace Restored 613 Sunday-school and later a day-school, being assisted subse- quently by Mrs. Rosa H. Ashe. Mrs. Meares gave herself to this service with a rare devotion, and it was by her untiring labors that the foundation of such a splendid work was laid. In 1873, Mrs. Lawrence, afterwards Sister Cecilia, came to begin her labor of love. She left behind her a sainted memory and an influence that has been handed down from parents to children and is still strong in the community. In 1892, while Dr. Strange, the late beloved bishop of East Carolina, was rector of St. James’s, the chapel of the Good Shepherd was built on the present site of the church, and a vigorous work carried on under the leadership of Rev. J. B. Gibble, assisted by an efficient corps of women, who aided in the social and spiritual work of the mission. Later, Miss Susie Price became resident parish worker. She has carried on a work that can not be easily overestimated in its beneficent influence, among the women and girls particu- © larly, a large number of whom are now enrolled in various Organizations, chiefly the Girls’ Friendly Society, with its Junior Chapter of Candidates, the Parish Guild, and a very devoted branch of the Woman’s Auxiliary. A notable feature of this interesting work is the record of the late superintendent of the Sunday-school, Mr. J. Hal Boat- wright, who served continuously for nearly forty years, acting also for a long time as lay reader. His was indeed a noble work of love performed with joy. In 1906, Rev. Thomas P. Noe became rector, and under his direction and inspiration the congregation began earnest efforts to become independent and self-sustaining, and in May, 1907, the Church of the Good Shepherd became a regular parish and was admitted into full standing in the council of the diocese, having been aided in this achievement by an endowment fund, Set apart for a term of years from the Armand J. DeRosset Memoria] Fund by the vestry of St. James’s parish. Previous to this action, the hall of the Good Shepherd, a large, commodious, and well-appointed recreation hall and Parish building, was erected in 1906, largely from this same fund. The Deaconess House, formerly oceupied by Miss Price, has been remodeled and enlarged and a handsome rectory has been built on the church property, which now includes about One-quarter of a city block; and on All Saints’ Day, 1911, with impressive ceremonies the cornerstone was laid for the present