190 Chronicles of the Cape Fear River they swept off everything between the corner of Front Street and the river and destroyed every building on the river front On the square where the fire originated the Clarendon Hotel stood on the present site of the Purcell House, and the post office was a room on the alley. Wilkings’ stables, as they were called though Winslow S. Wilkings had died in October, 1837 stood where Fennell’s stables are now. The northern sie of Market Street was then as now occupied by grocery and dry-goods and other stores; and on the alleys were dwellings as well as on Front, Market, and Princess Streets. In nee cases thi dwellings were rooms above the stores. ream On the other square, at the corner just across from Dawson’s stood the shop (office it would now be called) of Dr. Armand J DeRosset, sr. This was consumed with the Chronicle office just north of it and the dry-goods and general sales stores of Wright and Savage, John Wooster, Samuel Shuter, C. B. Miller, Daniel Dickson, Kelly & McCaleb, and others on the line of “Market Street, the custom house, then standing on the same site as now the store and warehouses of Aaron Lazarus, and the eanate houses of many others on Water Street, north of Market. The shop of Dr. DeRosset was entered by a row of steps cornering on Market and Front Streets, and running up some six or eight feet from the street. The custom house is not re- membered by the present writer, to whom the river front at that time was forbidden ground. The customs were collected and the business appertaining thereto transacted for a while after the fire in a room just where is now the office of A. S. Heide Esq., Danish vice consul. At this time Gen. Louis H Mar- steller was collector of customs. Afterwards the onstona house was on North Water Street between Princess and Chestnut Streets. Mr. W. C. Lord was collector here under appointment of President Tyler, but in a few months, the President havin changed his political status, Mr. Lord was superseded by Mr Murphy V. J ones. The present custom house became seihy fot occupancy during Mr. Jones’s ineumbency of the collectorshi or possibly a very little while before he entered upon its ction say in the latter part of 1842 or early in 1843. ; One incident connected with this fire every one then in his teens or older very vividly remembers—the blowing up of Phili | Bassadier. In those days when water had to be pumped aie and thrown from fire engines by the hardest kind of physical labor, it might seem unnecessary to say that other means than Early Years 191 throwing water had to be resorted to to stay the progress of the flames. The most efficient means then known was the blowing up of buildings by gunpowder—no dynamite then. This work was, if not in 1840, certainly afterwards, confided to persons of discretion who received their authority direct from the town commissioners. It became necessary to resort to the means re- ferred to in the Dawson fire, and in blowing up some buildings about the center of the square, where the fire originated, Philip Bassadier went up. He was taken off terribly bloody and. very seriously wounded, it was supposed at the time mortally wounded. But Philip, who, by the way, was one of the politest of men, albeit not of the Caucasian race, lived to be the admira- tion of the small boys of the period, and to furnish music for pleasure-loving youths for many years. But of this we may come to speak at another time. Senex, JR. been received from one unusually informed and accurate on local matters of the olden time, and who, but for the disrespect seemingly attached, and the utter incongruity of association, might be called “Old Nick.” It will receive due attention hereafter. ) VIIL. The friend referred to in the last article furnishes some cor- rections or additions from very accurate remembrance, and place is gladly given them. He was a pupil of Miss Laura Rankin (since Mrs. Rothwell) when she taught in what was and is known as Northrop’s Alley, running through from Front to Second Street between Dock and Orange. Other boys were George Harriss, Mike Cronly, Eli Hall, Henry Law, and of a younger set, Nehemiah Harriss, John Morris, Dick Savage, Nick Schenck, and so on. Girls in the same school were Sarah Peck, Augusta Law, Emily Howard, Fanny Lippitt, Caroline VanViel, Caroline and Clarissa Northrop, Mag and Kate McLaurin, Aletta Jane Schenck, Sarah and May Savage, Har- riet and Caroline Brown, and others. Mr. Walsh, later a Pres- byterian minister, afterwards taught in the same place. We are reminded, too, that Mr. Jesse Mulock, who came from Orange, N. Y., first taught in a house on the site now occupied by Burr and Bailey, and afterwards where mentioned in a former article. His school became very prosperous and he