186 Chronicles of the Cape Fear River was razed to the ground only a few years since to give place to the dwellings on the east side of Front Street, between Orange and Ann, was the “Old ’76.” It was a large two-story brick building, stuccoed white, with wide piazzas above and below running all the way around. It sat right upon the run of Tan Yard Branch, and its first floor was several feet lower than the present level of Front Street. It was a sailor boarding house but was utilized by the politicians of the early days as a rallyin ! place for their forces on the eve of exciting elections. ae SENEX, JR. VI. Attention has been called to the fact that in enumeratin buildings of great age or of peculiar construction the eal of the late John Walker, Esq., is worthy of being considered This building stood near the center of the square bounded Lay F ront, Princess, Second, and Chestnut Streets, fronting - Princess. Set back well from the street, it had apeon spacious yard in front. The house was built of brick, had a double piazza —such is the recollection of the writer—and was covered with Dutch tiles in corrugated form. There is reason to believe it was built in 1781. It had been tenantless for a long time pre- vious to its destruction, which was several years ago. : It may as well be confessed here that the list of boys classical school of Mr. Robert Lindsay—which list ate ns recently—was sadly defective in omitting the names of Osc oy ee — S. Cowan, those truly good boys . in the early forties the judges of the Superi | Dick, Manly, Settle, Battle, Bailey, Nash, a ets Soca of these afterwards attained eminence in the Sunes oart. The Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions, commonly known “ the County Court, had a session each spring summer, fall, and winter. Attorneys were licensed first to practice here aial later very soon after ordinarily, received license to nineties in the Superior Courts. The last County Court held in New Hanove in the name of the King was held on January 2, 1776, and oa next court was on January 7, 1777. The justices eciaeiet were George Moore, William Purviance, John Robinson, Timoth Bloodworth, Sampson Moseley, John Lillington, Deine! gaia John Ancrum, William Wilkinson, William Jones, and J dae DuBois. They were commissioned by the Governor, and after Early Years 187 duly organizing they elected two inspectors for Wilmington and a sheriff for the Gounty. Jonathan Dunbibin was elected regis- ter in place of Adam Boyd, who held the position under the old regime. We digress here to say that this Adam Boyd formerly edited the Cape Fear Mercury, which appeared in Wilmington October 13, 1769, and was discontinued in 1775. The county justices seem to have undergone little or no change throughout their entire existence of nearly a century. In ordi- nary trial sessions, one magistrate presided, having on the bench with him two or three other magistrates. The position of chair- man, or chief magistrate, required considerable legal knowledge and invested one with a good deal of power. Col. James T. Miller and Mr. William A. Wright held the post and performed Not one of the resident lawyers of 1840 is now living. Mr. M. London, who died quite recently, had been engaged in mer- chandizing for several years before he entered upon the practice of law. He was licensed to practice about January 1, 1840, and was one of the ablest lawyers who ever practiced at the bar in New Hanover County. Owen Holmes died suddenly in June, 1840. Messrs. William A. Wright, Joshua G. Wright, T. C. Miller and Daniel B. Baker lived and practiced throughout the forties. Mr. George Davis was admitted to practice very early in 1841; afterwards John London, who died soon after licen- sure; and Griffith J. McRee still later; Thomas D. Meares, James A. Peden, John A. Lillington, T. Burr, jr., Hill Bur- ewyn, Thomas D. Walker, David Fulton, William Hill, John L. Holmes, and others whose names are not at hand. Mr. William B. Meares, one of the strongest members of the bar, had retired before 1840 to give attention to other interests. He died Octo- ber 11, 1842. Messrs. David Reid and Hardy Lucian Holmes came to Wilmington from other counties. They stood high on the roll of attorneys. In those days the whipping post was an instrument or an in- stitution or a means for punishment of offenders—a most effi- cient one, too. It savored of barbarity undoubtedly and was ter- ribly degrading, still there are crimes for which the whipping post is and ever will be the only befitting punishment. As to barbarity, it does not approach in that respect the public stran- gling to death of human beings. ‘This was universal in those days, and even now is tolerated in North Carolina where the county commissioners find a public demand for it. Happily the