160 Chronicles of the Cape Fear River Branch does not come strictly within our limits, but so near by that it is given its place here. Rising about Fifth Street and Wooster, 1t runs west with an inclination slightly south and empties near ‘the foot of Dawson Street. The river front as we see it now gives little idea of the water line even fifty years ago. The business of that time was done between Orange and Mulberry Streets, most largely perhaps north of Dock. After the building of the Wilmington and Wel- don Railroad, the trend of business was constantly toward the depot. The wharves south of Orange Street were used for the storage of staves, river lumber, and tar. The distillation of tur- pentine was then in its infancy and a slight factor in business operations. Above Mulberry Street-the water of the river came up to Nutt Street in all places where the land had been made. as it was called, by filling in the water lots with ballast or sand, When steamers were first placed in line between Wilmington and Charleston, a bridgeway was constructed to reach the boats and transfer passengers and baggage from the railroad landing place. Above Campbell Street on the river front, fifty years ago were woods, or rather swamp. Above Bladen, a sheer bluff fone from the foot of the swamp, and just beyond Harnett Street on the summit of the bluff stood “Paradise,” then owned by Mr. Robert H. Cowan. The locality in general was less euphoniously styled “Hoge’s Folly”—precisely why no one seems to know, but certainly because some one of the name had begun an enter- prise of some kind or other which proved an impracticability on his hands. : Before entering upon any report of people and places it may be well to note how the natural features have been changed within the past half century. We will follow the courses of some of the streams we have referred to, confining ourselves to the limits embraced in the original plan of the town; viz.: Be- tween the Cape Fear River and Fifth Street, long ‘kiows as “Old Boundary,” and between Campbell Street and what was afterwards known as Wooster. Sometime, doubtless near the completion of the Wilmington and Raleigh (now Wilmington and Weldon) Railroad, it beeame desirable to level Front Street across Mulberry. This seems to have been done without the precaution of making a drain to carry off the water, which was thus backed up Mulberry Street and formed a pond extending as far as Second Street, and which must have been several feet deep. This body of water was known as the “Horse Pond,” and - Early Years 161 remained a source of discomfort and a menace to health until sometime in the forties. It was quite deep and fish were some- times caught from its waters. Nowhere have changes been more or greater than on the line of Jacob’s Run. Fifty years ago the lots between Third and Fourth Streets, now occupied by the courthouse and the jail of the county, were a quagmire. Princess Street, between the streets named, was a slope from the point now occupied by the City Hall (the top of the hill was then several feet higher than now) down to the stream below. Third Street, at and near Princess, is several feet higher than it was in 1840, and the same is to be said of Second Street at the intersection of Market. At this point the mud in times long since past was so prevalent that the locality, being then occupied by a market house and town hall, was known as “Mud Market.” Improvement of a like charac- ter was made, at an earlier date probably, at or near the inter- section of Dock and Front Streets. There is a tradition that small canoes or batteaux came up Jacob’s Run from the river at high tide to Mud Market. This occurred before the memory of any one now living, but it is founded on the testimony of per- fectly truthful gentlemen. As late as 1840 the sidewalk on the south side of Market, near Second, was some feet higher than the street itself, and several steps were the means of ascent or descent. Willow Spring Branch was overlooked in what has gone before. It took its rise above Second Street, near the line of Third, and thence to the river. The lots on the west side of Second Street, between Dock and Orange Streets, show how much the land just here was raised on the line of Second Street. Where the dwelling on the east side of Second Street, Judge Russell’s residence, and the dwelling on MeLean’s Alley now stand was a depression, and the street has been raised some eight or ten feet at least. Apparently to protect the Willow Spring from the caving-in of earth, a wall of cypress logs was run on the line of the street and on the alley. From near the middle of Third Street between Orange and Ann, at a point some fifteen or twenty feet from the eastern line, the hill sloped abruptly until about the western line it was arrested by a brick wall. This depression made Third Street impassable in this immedi- ate locality except on the margin indicated. The wall referred to protected a spring at its foot, and thence the stream flowed on to form a tanyard near Second Street, established in 1826 by Isaac Northrop and John M. VanCleff and afterwards owned 11 :