Thousands of images, texts, and audio/video from ECU's diverse collections and beyond.
Considered by many as a pillar of the community, David Julian Whichard II was born on January 11, 1895. David Julian was the only son of David Jordan and Hennie Sutton Whichard of Pitt County, North Carolina. He attended the only public educational facility in Greenville and graduated from Greenville Graded School in 1913. While in school, Whichard worked as a delivery boy for the newspaper his father and uncle founded in 1882. He also held many other positions at the newspaper during his youth. After graduation, Whichard was actively engaged in the newspaper’s operation, and was employed by the post office in Greenville, NC. Over time, he rose to the position of assistant postmaster.
During World War I, Whichard was stationed in France. After returning home from serving, he purchased the Daily Reflector from his father and took over management as editor and publisher on July 1, 1919. Active in newspaper affairs in North Carolina, he held offices in several newspaper organizations. His positions included that of presidency of the Eastern North Carolina Press Association and the North Carolina Association of Afternoon Dailies. He also participated freely in the civic affairs of Greenville and Pitt County as well as the activities of the American Legion.
Whichard was one of two North Carolina delegates to the organizational convention of the American Legion in Minneapolis in 1919 and was North Carolina’s first national committeeman for the American Legion.
Throughout his life, Whichard was a leader in the community, a strong supporter of education, and a staunch friend of East Carolina University. One of his greatest accomplishments in the newspaper business was his active role in the growth and development of East Carolina University. Supporting articles and editorials have consistently been written concerning the growth and ever-broadening influence of the university.
President Leo W. Jenkins presided at the dedication ceremony of the Whichard Building on May 6, 1962. Kathryn Oliver Whichard and David Jordan Whichard III unveiled the portrait and presented the painting to the audience. J. Herbert Waldrop, chair of the board of trustees, accepted the portrait. The dedicatory address was delivered by Dr. Robert Lee Humber and followed by a prayer of dedication from D.D. Gross and a reception.
The naming of the building and the dedication ceremonies were evidence of the appreciation for the many fine things Mr. Whichard and his family have done for East Carolina. Whichard was married to Virginia Young Suther in 1926 and they were the parents of two sons, John Suther Whichard and David Jordan Whichard III.