Colonel John Hardee House
Date: 1920 |
Col. John Hardee's house, seen here, was used as Pitt County's first courthouse from 1761 to 1774. It was on what is now Highway 33 East, across from the entrance to the Brook Valley subdivision. After a more permanent courthouse was constructed, Colonel Hardee's land and this historic house changed hands several times. This 1920 image shows a somewhat dilapidated structure. In 1924, James E.W. Cook encouraged the county to restore this historic monument. Unfortunately, it was destroyed in 1926. In 1930, a marker commemorating the site of the courthouse was erected on Highway 33 East. more...