First Baptist Church
New Bern, North Carolina
Sketch of First Baptist Church in New Bern, North Carolina in 1943]
THE REV. THOMAS W. FRYER, PASTOR
November 14, 1943
“The old Baptists . . . were great in their simplicity, their integrity, their earnestness. Thus, good in their greatness, they left more fascinating charms than gold . . . Their religion was beyond the reach of price or of kings or their reward or command of kings. It was simply the Bible—God's command—they heard and were doing their utmost to obey . . . God's Word was first, last and always with them . . . Thus did the Baptist fathers hear Him for their children as well as themselves and should they not be for it ever held in blessed memory by the Baptists of North Carolina.”
—From “The Home Story of a Walking Stick—Early History of the Biblical Recorder and Baptist Church of New Bern,” by Col. John D. Whitford.
THE REV. THOMAS WAITT FRYER
Present Pastor, First Baptist Church
Picture of Rev. Thomas Waitt Fryer]
SERVICES OF DEDICATION
SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 14, 1943
FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH, NEW BERN, N. C.
THE REV. THOMAS W. FRYER, PASTOR
“I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go into the house of the Lord.”—PSALMS 122:1.MORNING WORSHIP, ELEVEN O'CLOCK
|Organ Prelude . . .“Priere” (Suite Gothique)||BOELLMAN|
|Gloria Patri||(Congregation Standing)|
|Hymn No. 249 . . . “Faith of Our Fathers”||(Congregation Standing)|
|Scripture Reading: Matthew 16:13-20|
|Organ Interlude . . . “Chorale”||BACH|
|Prayer||THE REV. ROBERT L. PUGH|
|Chairman of the Church Board of Deacons|
|Announcements and Introduction of Dedication Speaker||BY THE PASTOR|
|Hymn No. 244 . . . “The Church's One Foundation”||(Congregation Standing)|
|Tithes and Offerings|
|Offertory . . . “Traume”||WAGNER|
|Anthem . . . “O Divine Redeemer”||CHARLES GOUNOD|
|MRS. RUFUS HARRIS, JR., Soloist|
|Dedication of Church—|
Minister—In reverence and thanksgiving to Almighty God, the source of wisdom, truth and strength, and in tribute to our members of the past and present who have wrought nobly and well for the Kingdom of God among men, we are gathered together here today to dedicate this renovated First Baptist Church of New Bern, and its new baptistry given in memory of W. J. Lucas, and its new rose window given in memory of F. H. Whitty. Blessed be the name of the Lord, maker of Heaven and Earth.
Congregation—Blessed be the name of the Lord, henceforth and forevermore.
Minister—For the men and women throughout the years who have had the faith and courage to proclaim and defend the principles of our religious doctrines and beliefs, “For all Thy saints, O Lord, Who strove in Thee to live”;
Congregation—We praise Thee, God of our Fathers.
Minister—For those who translated labor and sacrifice into the founding and upbuilding of this Church, consecrated to the ministry of Thy Word;
Congregation—We thank Thee, O Lord.
Minister—For our illustrious pastors, eminent educators, zealous missionary leaders and loyal members, staunch in their convictions, steadfast in their vision, and never weary of well-doing, who “followed the gleam” and devoted their lives to the furtherance of Thy glory;
Congregation—We give thanks to Thee, O God, author of their faith.
Minister—That we may be so inspired by the light of their immortal spirit and, seeing their good works, may glorify our Father in Heaven;
Congregation—We beseech Thee, O Lord, our Strength and our Redeemer.
Minister—Mindful of our solemn obligation to prove worthy of our high heritage and extend its influence, we humbly pray that God will bless this Church for our use and us to His Service and through His Divine Providence continue to shower His manifold blessings upon us;
Congregation—Bless us, Merciful Father.
Minister—As a testimony of the redeeming power of simple faith and sacrificial toil, as a pledge of everlasting gratitude and brotherly love, and as a covenant that we shall under God press forward to new heights of humanitarian achievement and Christian fellowship;
Congregation—We dedicate this building.
Minister—In Thy service, to Thy honor and for Thy praise; for earnest prayer and true repentance; for the reading and preaching of Thy Holy Word and Commandment; for the spread of righteousness and peace, charity and spiritual grace; for the comfort of those who mourn, the uplift of those who may fall, falter or forget, the sanctification of those who enter into these sacred portals to worship Thee in spirit and in truth; and for all the services which minister to the salvation of mankind;
Congregation—We dedicate this House of Worship.
Minister—For the building of character and the moulding of lives after the pattern of Jesus, for bringing a broader ideal of the Kingdom of God through missionary efforts at home and abroad to draw all men to Christ, that they may have eternal life;
Congregation—We dedicate this Church.
Minister—To the glory of God and the service of man, in the faith of Christ our Lord, in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost;
Congregation—We dedicate this Temple of God.
Minister and Congregation—As we devoutly dedicate this Church, relying on our Master's infinite mercy and goodness and our own strength in unity and spiritual communion and interpreting our rich heritage as an inspiring challenge to greater work and nobler service, we rededicate ourselves anew to the worship of God in this His Holy House and to the establishment of His Kingdom on earth. AMEN.
EVENING WORSHIP, EIGHT O'CLOCK
|Dedicatory Address||THE HON. J. MELVILLE BROUGHTON|
|Governor of North Carolina|
|Hymn No. 382 . . . “Close To Thee”||(Congregation Standing)|
|Benediction With Choral Response|
|Organ Postlude . . . “Fanfare”||DUBOIS|
|DR. HARRY E. COOPER, of the Department of Music of Meredith College, Raleigh, N. C., guest organist.|
Prayer and Praise Service—Led by W. CAREY BARKER, of Lynchburg, Va.
Hymn No. 390 . . . “Face to Face”
Tithes and Offerings
|Offertory . . . “My Anchor Holds”||D. B. TOWNER|
|Male Quartet: PAUL STEWART, BILLY BENNERS, DONALD SMITH and LEE CAHOON|
|Sermon||W. CAREY BARKER|
Hymn of Invitation
Ordinance of Baptism
“My House Shall Be Called a House of Prayer For All People.”—ISAIAH 56:7.
Skectch of the First Baptist Church, in New Bern, North Carolina]
GOV. J. M. BROUGHTON—DEDICATION SPEAKER
Members of the First Baptist Church of New Bern consider themselves doubly fortunate to have as their Dedication Speaker the Honorable J. Melville Broughton of Raleigh, an outstanding Governor of the great State of North Carolina and a prominent leader of the Tabernacle Baptist Church in the State Capital.
Since young manhood Governor Broughton has been a devout and influential member of the Tabernacle Baptist Church and Sunday School in Raleigh. For 27 years he was superintendent of the Sunday School, resigning in 1940 shortly before assuming the high office of Chief Executive of North Carolina.
J. Melville Broughton
Picture of the Honroable J. Melville Broughton, the Governor of North Carolina and lead of the Tabernacle Baptist Church]
For more than 15 years he has been teaching a class of young men at the Tabernacle Church, known as the Broughton Memorial Bible Class. Each Sunday his lessons are broadcast over radio through Station WPTF, Raleigh, heard by thousands.
A member of the Board of Deacons of the Tabernacle Baptist Church for 25 years, Governor Broughton was chairman of the Finance Committee of that Church for many years and was largely responsible for the financial arrangements through which were made possible the building of its Church and Sunday School.
AFTERNOON ORGAN CONCERT
DR. HARRY E. COOPER, Department of Music, Meredith College, Raleigh, N. C., Guest Organist.
“O Music, thou who bringest the receding waves to the weary heart of man as he stands upon the shore and longs to cross over, art thou the evening breeze of this life or the morning air of the future?”—JEAN PAUL RICHTER.
Hymn No. 133—“All Hail the Power of Jesus’ Name”
Tithes and Offerings
|Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring||BACH|
|Here we have an arrangement for organ by Harvey Grace of a melody found in one of Bach's church cantatas. It is expressive of the composer's deep religious devotion.|
|Fugue in D Major||BACH|
|This fugue shows a spirit of joyous exuberance and ends with a brilliant passage for the pedals alone.|
|Paul Wachs paints an exquisite tone picture of rural scenes in southern France.|
|DR. COOPER AT THE CONSOLE|
|To Thee We Sing||PETER D. TKACH|
|I Sought The Lord||FREDERICK STEVENSON|
|MISS VELMA STEWART, Soloist|
|The Man of Upright Life||FRIEDRICH F. FLEMMING|
|The Lost Chord||SIR ARTHUR SULLIVAN|
|MRS. RUFUS HARRIS, JR., and PAUL STEWART|
|In Thee, O Lord, Have I Trusted||GEORGE F. HANDEL|
|Mixed Quartet—MISS VELMA STEWART, PAUL STEWART, LEE CAHOON, DONALD SMITH|
|Praise Ye The Father||CHARLES GOUNOD|
|MISS NAOMI WILSON, Organist|
|DONALD SMITH, Director|
|Scherzo in G Minor||BOSSI|
|Enrico Bossi, who was born in in 1861, has many fine organ works to his credit. This scherzo displays his colorful style of writing to advantage.|
|Will O’ The Wisp||NEVIN|
|Gordon Balch Nevin is an American composer and organist at Westminster College, New Wilmington, Pennsylvania.|
|Edward Kreiser, another American composer, was for many years organist of a large church in Kansas City.|
|The celestial trumpets, announcing the theme, alternate with passages suggestive of the appearance of angels. The work is a joyous song of triumph, declaring the news of Christ's resurrection: “Christ is Risen! Christ is Risen To-day!”|
AT THE CONSOLE|
Hymn No. 326—“Praise Him! Praise Him!”
FRONT INTERIOR OF RENOVATED CHURCH, 1943
Picture of the front Interior of the renovated First Baptist Church in New Bern, North Carolina]
NEW CHURCH BUILDING IMPROVEMENTS
At expenditure of approximately $25,000, more than twice its original cost, the First Baptist Church has been extensively enlarged and renovated since April, 1943, with a new educational plant erected between the auditorium and the Sunday School building, making the church and its additions now rank as one of the largest and most modern religious units in this region.
The handsome, century-old church structure has been carefully preserved so far as the original front and side walls are concerned, but it is not at all as it used to be on the interior or at the rear. The entire edifice extends 180 feet in length and averages 60 feet in width, and contains a total of 17,490 square feet, of which almost two-thirds has been added within the past two years.
By adding twelve extra feet to the auditorium at the front, sixty more persons than formerly may now be seated there in the new pews, to give a seating capacity of 450 for the main floor and balcony. The auditorium has been completely replastered, repanelled and redecorated. It is indirectly lighted by new lights.
Over the balcony in the front wall of the church is a beautiful new rose window of stained glass, 72 inches in diameter, portraying the scene of Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane. Between the new plaster ceiling and walls is an attractive plaster of Paris cornice, 22 inches deep, fashioned in an elaborate design that lends a unique charm to the massive interior. Four plaster of Paris pilasters, 22 feet high and 46 inches wide, reach from the floor to the cornice, two on each side of the chancel.
A new pulpit, choir loft and baptistry have been constructed. The place for the pulpit is eight feet in depth and 28 feet in width. It has new furnishings. The choir space, 17 feet wide and 12½ feet deep, is back of the pulpit. Thirty or 35 persons can be seated there. The new organ console is located on the first row of the choir with the organ chamber at the top of the left side of the main auditorium.
Elevated behind the choir, the steel baptistry is visible behind its plate glass front when its curtains are drawn aside. Water for baptisms will rise behind this glass. At the rear is a large oil painting of the River Jordan, painted by G. E. Schlueter.
Doors lead into the church auditorium from the corridors between the church and the educational plant, and four doors
placing the undivided, one-story Sunday School erected 40 years ago, this new two-story educational unit, 44 feet long and 65 feet wide, is one of the best-equipped structures for religious education in a wide area.
The first floor of the educational structure has nine rooms in the old space, and two new rooms have been added at the sides. The small new room on the north, 10 by 16 feet, is the pastor's study, and the similar space at the south is a Sunday School classroom.
A long room, 32 feet by 15½ feet, on the southern side is a new Ladies’ Parlor. Its architecture has a distinctive Southern Colonial motif, with outstanding panel design and wooden mantel. This room may be entered from the churchyard, without having to pass through other parts of the church.
On the north side of the edifice is another large room similar to the Ladies’ Parlor. This will be used by the Cradle Roll and Beginners’ Departments of the Sunday School. Hallways on both sides of the educational building have special offices for the Sunday School Secretary and rooms for the church library, church music and literature.
Over the Cradle Roll room is a large hall on the second floor for the Men's Bible Class. It will also be used for recreational purposes. Measuring 41 by 21 feet, it has been designed so that the acoustics will be exceptionally favorable for radio broadcasting. The ceiling is of celotex, and the side walls are plastered.
Radio equipment has already been installed there, with microphones and amplifiers available, as a downtown studio for New Bern's Radio Station WHIT. There the Rev. Robert L. Pugh, teacher of the Men's Bible Class, will broadcast his Sunday School lessons every Sunday morning, and there the Rev. Thomas W. Fryer
, church pastor, will broadcast special sermons and programs. The men's class is one of the oldest and most outstanding in the State, organized a century ago.
On the southern side of the educational building upstairs is a room 22 by 15 feet for the Senior Fidelis Class. Adjoining is a kitchen, 16 by 11½, with numerous wooden cabinets, double-drain sink, a large coffee urn, and commercial gas units for cooking. Storage space measures 7 by 16 feet in size. The organ chamber, 13½ by 16 feet, is another feature on the southern side of this floor. It is especially designed and arranged for its purpose.
A five-foot Colonial stairway connects the two floors of this educational plant, and wide new corridors lead from the second story to the Sunday School building in the rear. The first floors of the two structures are also connected.
This brick building for the Sunday School, 51 feet long and 64 feet wide, with 24 classrooms and four assembly rooms, was completed in 1942 at a cost of $15,000, exclusive of equipment.
Raymond Fuson, of New Bern, was the architect for all these new improvements being finished in the Fall of 1943. The Ernest Construction Company of Greenville
, headed by L. M.
WALTER L. ALEXANDER
Chairman Finance Committee
For Church Improvements
Picture of Walter L. ALexander the Chairman of the Finance Committee for Church Improvements ]
, had charge of the construction work. The job was superintended by W. J. Lewis
, of Greenville, for the construction company and by Mr. Fryer
for the church. On the church building committee were three deacons: A. L. Waters
, chairman, J. B. Lovelace
and J. F. Cuthrell.
The payroll averaged $400 per week for six months, and as many as 23 employees were engaged in work on the church at some periods. The cornices and pilasters were made by Thomas Maye
, Negro, of Greenville, who has been in the plastering business for 35 years.
REAR INTERIOR AND ROSE WINDOW OF RENOVATED CHURCH, 1943
Picture of the rear interior and rose window of the renovated First Baptist Church in New Bern, North Carolina in 1943]
LADIES’ PARLOR IN CHURCH
Picture of the ladies parlor of the First Baptist Church in New Bern, North Carolina]
Shortly after Mr. Fryer
became the local pastor, the parsonage on Johnson and Craven Streets, also was renovated and repainted, at cost of $2,500.
Walter L. Alexander
was chairman of the finance committee, which raised the money to pay for all the new improvements, and J. T. Kennedy
was treasurer of the committee. N. E. Mohn
was appointed chairman for the Dedication Service.
MEN'S BIBLE CLASS ROOM
Picture of the men's bible class room]
FIRST BAPTIST PASTORS
|*WILLIAM P. BIDDLE
, First Regular Pastor.|
|*THOMAS MEREDITH||1819-22; 1834-36|
|*JOSEPH ANDREWS WARNE||1824-26|
|*JOSIAH J. FINCH||1838-44|
|*W. L. HARTSON||1845|
|*RICHARD FURMAN, JR
|*MARTIN R. FOREY||1847-48|
|*J. M. C. BREAKER||1849-52|
|[note]J. S. WALTHALL||1855-59|
|*ABRAHAM DAVID COHEN||1860-69|
|*LEVI THORNE||1870-72; 1875|
|*S. W. WESTCOTT||1873-74|
|*J. W. TAYLOR||1876-77|
|*ROBERT W. LIDE||1877-78|
|*FRED W. EASON||1878-83|
|*C. A. JENKENS||1883-86|
|HENRY WILSON BATTLE||1888-90|
|*SAMUEL JUDSON PORTER||1895-98|
|HIGHT C. MOORE||1898-1903|
|*W. H. RICH||1903-04|
|*C. C. COX||1904|
|W. A. AYERS||1904-07; 1919-23|
|*CHARLES L. GREAVES||1907-09|
|*E. T. CARTER||1909-13|
|L. B. PADGETT||1914-17|
|A. A. WALKER||1918-19|
|W. H. HORTON||1924-26|
|RAYMOND A. THOMPSON||1936-1941|
|THOMAS W. FRYER||1942—|
THE REV. THOMAS W. FRYER
, PRESENT PASTOR
The Rev. Thomas Waitt Fryer
, who became pastor of the First Baptist Church of New Bern September 15, 1942, as the 36th regular minister to serve the local Church, is a native of Columbus County, N. C., where he was born on January 14, 1908.
His great-great-grandfather, Thomas Waitt
, of Boston, for whom he was named, worked on the State Capitol in Raleigh, built the old Cameron place at Raleigh and had charge of the construction of the two original buildings at St. Mary's School in Raleigh and two of the three first buildings of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
With a view to entering business, Mr. Fryer took courses in business administration at
Roanoke College, Salem, Va., but decided to enter the ministry so then studied at the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary at Louisville, Ky.
His first pastorate was in Dickenson County, Va., where for three years he served as a missionary of the State Mission Board. For the next year and a half he was pastor at Scottsburg, Va.
From there he was called to a small mission station, which had no regular services but held only an afternoon Sunday School with 66 members, at Martinsville, Va. As the first pastor, he increased the membership to 384 in four years and directed the building of a new $40,000 church and a $7,500 parsonage. When he left this
Starling Avenue Baptist Church, it was operating successfully on a $12,000 annual budget.
On December 1, 1939, he began an outstanding pastorate at the First Baptist Church of Dunn, N. C. During his three years there the entire church was repainted and redecorated. According to highly commendatory resolutions passed unanimously by the congregation upon his resignation, the church attendance during his ministry was greater than ever before.
The Woman's Missionary Union and the Sunday School attained standardization for the first time under his leadership, the resolutions set forth, and he put into operation “the best financial system in the history of the church.”
His past year in New Bern was the best, financially, in the history of this church, $27,958.33 being raised for all purposes.
Mr. Fryeris universally regarded as one of the most able, forceful and inspiring preachers who has ever occupied the pulpit of the local church, a worthy successor to eminent predecessors. Moreover, he is a beloved pastor and Christian gentleman of outstanding versatility and personality, popular with members of other denominations as well as with his own congregation. He is a Rotarian and a 32nd degree Mason.
His wife was the former Miss Pauline Harp, of Galax, Va. They have one son, Tommy
, aged six years; and a little daughter, Laura Frances, aged eleven months.
CHURCH MEMBERS IN RELIGIOUS WORK
THE REV. ROBERT L. PUGH, an ordained Baptist minister, who after several years as an active pastor turned towards the educational field and is now
Craven County Superintendent of Education, but still preaches and conducts religious services.
JOHN B. LANE, State Approved Sunday School Worker, who is now a field worker for the Baptist Sunday School Board. He was trained at the Baptist Bible Institute at New Orleans.
MRS. C. R. (ETHEL EATON) PITTARD, a graduate of the W. M. U. Training School at Louisville and now a member of its board, who has had a large part in helping in the successful pastorates of her husband, Dr. C. R. Pittard, now pastor of the Allapattah Baptist Church at Miami, Fla.For a number of years she was a Sunday School Worker in all parts of North Carolina, specializing in Intermediate Departments. Still active in many phases of church activities, she served as president of the Golden Jubilee for the State of Florida.
NATHAN C. BROOKS, a former member of the First Baptist Church here, who at the present time is pastor of the First Baptist Church at Waynesboro, Ga., following several years as Secretary of the North Carolina Baptist Training Union.
A. D. GRADY, JR., ministerial student at Wake Forest College.
MISS LUCILLE DAUGHERTY, who recently consecrated her life for service in the foreign mission field.
MRS. MERRITT A. (LYDIA PINER) BURNS, who studied for two years at Chowan College, Murfreesboro, graduated from East Carolina Teachers College, Greenville, attended Conferences at Ridgecrest as a student assistant, then became Educational Director at the First Baptist Church in Burlington. Her husband, a Baptist minister, is now a Navy officer in Naval Aviation.CONVERTED IN THIS AREA
THE LATE REV. DR. RUSSELL H. CONWELL
, long a noted Baptist minister, educator and philanthropist, was converted from atheism to Christianity by the brave act of his young orderly, John Ring, who lost his life in saving Union Captain Conwell's prized sword after a fort attack in this section January 30, 1864, during the War Between the States.
Dr. Conwell built the largest Protestant church in America, founded Temple University and two hospitals at Philadelphia, and helped educate 100,000 youths through earnings from his famed lecture, “Acres of Diamonds.” He has spoken at the First Baptist Church in New Bern.
IN THE SERVICE OF OUR COUNTRY
|WORLD WAR II|
|E. K. LOVELACE||T. B. COLEMAN|
|J. B. LOVELACE, JR.||R. E. SUMRELL|
|L. M. MITCHELL||S. L. LUCAS|
|S. B. MITCHELL||T. E. PEEK|
|">J. W. MITCHELL||H. V. FALLS|
|E. S. MITCHELL||L. H. WADE, JR.|
|C. E. BALLENGER||J. W. HUGGINS|
|A. S. HARDISON, JR.||J. H. SAWYER, JR.|
|E. L. HIMMELMAN||E. L. WHORTON|
|L. E. LANCASTER||M. V. B. DAVIS|
|W. M. MITCHELL||E. M. BALLENGER, JR.|
|J. H. B. LOWERY||JAMES LUCAS|
|R. W. JENKINS||ALEX MITCHELL|
|J. V. JENKINS, JR.||M. M. PIERCE|
|C. H. LOVELL||W. F. DOWDY, JR.|
|W. H. WILLIS||H. E. RUSSELL|
|ROY BLACKLEY||C. J. IPOCK|
|K. L. GUTHRIE||T. B. CARRAWAY|
|F. I. HARRELL||C. G. SAWYER|
|R. F. REA||C. J. WILLIAMS, JR
|J. D. FISHER||J. N. ALFORD|
FAITH OF OUR FATHERS
- Faith of our fathers, living still
- In spite of dungeon, fire and sword,
- O how our hearts beat high with joy,
- Whene'er we hear that glorious word.
- Faith of our fathers, holy faith,
- We will be true to thee till death.
- Faith of our fathers, faith and prayer
- Have kept our country brave and free
- And through the truth that comes from God,
- Her children have true liberty!
- Faith of our fathers, holy faith,
- We will be true to thee till death.
- Faith of our fathers, we will love
- Both friend and foe in all our strife;
- And preach thee, too, as love knows how,
- By kindly words and virtuous life.
- Faith of our fathers, holy faith,
- We will be true to thee till death.
—FREDERICK W. FABER
A CENTURY AND A THIRD OF SERVICE
The First Baptist Church of New Bern, since its organization on May 11, 1809, by Elijah Clark, John Brinson and Mrs. Joshua Mitchell, has an outstanding record of a century and a third of service and growth, with exceptionally worthy accomplishments for religion, Christian education and community betterment of which every member today may be justifiably proud.
Founders of the congregation were not the first Baptists in this area. Paul Palmer, eminent Baptist minister, who came here from the Chowan region during the early thirties of the 18th century, was one of the first denominational leaders to visit the town. He found several Baptists here and advised them to start a church.
James Brinson, William Fulcher and Nicholas Purifoy asked for permission to build a church in New Bern during the following decade. Their request was refused, they were charged with misdemeanors, publicly whipped, bound over to keep the peace, and imprisoned for three months in the county jail.
Benjamin Miller and Peter Peterson Van Horn, missionaries of the Philadelphia Baptist Association, held services here during the period of 1755-57. George Whitefield, world-famed evangelist, paid a third visit here in 1765 and warned the people against the rejection of infant baptism.
Before the 19th century a number of Baptist churches flourished in the vicinity: Swift Creek, twelve miles northwest of New Bern, first organized by William Burges of Pasquotank and reorganized by Miller and Van Horn with Joseph Willis as pastor in 1756; New River in Onslow County, started in 1759; Trent River in Jones County, organized in 1761; Southwest in Lenoir County, formed in 1762; Newport River in Carteret County, organized in 1778; Goose Creek, started in 1784; and Coor (Core) Creek, organized in 1791.
Two of the most prominent Baptists of the section during those early days were members of the Trent River Church: Col. Nathan P. Bryan, State and National Representative, moderator of Kehukee Association and chief organizer of Neuse Association with 23 churches in 1793; and Sheriff John Dillahunty of Craven County, who was first aroused spiritually by Whitefield's sermons, converted at a meeting held by Shubael Stearnsand Daniel Marshall of the Sandy Creek Association, and baptized by Philip Mulky, then became pastor of his home church and later took over an entire Episcopal church and congregation.
During the Spring of 1809, in a front room at the home of Elijah Clark at the junction of Craven and Middle Streets, the local Baptist church was started by Clark, John Brinson and Mrs. Joshua (Mary Willis) Mitchell. Services were conducted in various houses of the town until a church could be erected.
Brinson agreed to furnish the lumber for a Baptist meeting house from the woodlands on his plantation on the north side of Neuse River ten miles below New Bern. Clark promised to have it sawed and to try to procure the necessary money for construction purposes.
Zacchaeus Slade, a nephew of Brinson, then only a lad but later for forty years an honored deacon of the church, assisted in driving the teams that hauled the logs to the banks of the Neuse River to be floated to the city. Near the river here an enormous pit was dug for the sawing and planing of the rough logs.
The simple, frame structure, built plainly without a steeple, faced on Johnson Street, with a 36-foot frontage, and extended back 40 feet on Metcalf Street. From floor to ceiling it was 22 feet. By the Summer of 1811, with most of the work done by volunteers, it was ready for use. Improvements were added later.
No regular pastor was engaged at the outset, but John “Daddy” McCabe served from time to time, and tradition says that his body was buried under the church pulpit. The first pastor was probably the Rev. William P. Biddle, born in 1787 in Princess Anne County, Va., who came to North Carolina as an itinerant preacher and in 1810 married Mary Nixon Simpson, the only surviving child of Gen. Samuel Simpson, a wealthy Baptist layman who resided at Fort Barnwell. Of Biddle it has been written: “Being a man of large wealth he preached gratuitously. He was eminent for a devout spirit, a godly walk, and a large measure of influence.”
Before the Presbyterians built their house of worship here, 1819-22, they often used the Baptist church. In 1818 a local Presbyterian poet, Stephen M. Chester, wrote humorously of the edifice:
- “The Baptist barn comes next to view
- Where winter winds turn noses blue,
- And shivering devotees retire
- Right glad from worship to the fire;
- But Presbyterians in the lurch,
- Too poor or mean to build a church,
- Are glad to find admittance here
- When its own priests don't interfere.”
THE REV. WILLIAM P. BIDDLE
Picture of Rev. WIlliam P. Biddle, the first Pastor of the First Baptist Church in New Bern, North Carolina]
The first Baptist pastor for whom there is an authentic record was the Rev. Thomas Meredith, who served as part-time pastor from July, 1819, to March, 1822, and afterwards from July, 1834, to the Autumn of 1836. It was here on January 5, 1835, that he started “The Biblical Recorder.” For him is named Meredith College at Raleigh.
Of the 25 pastors who served here before the 20th century, many were prominently connected with the foundation work of North Carolina Baptist organizations. When the Baptist State Convention was formed March 26, 1830, the church constitution was presented by Meredith. Biddle was elected First Vice President. John Armstrong, another early local pastor, was chosen Corresponding Secretary.
Named to the Board of Directors were Samuel Wait, William Sanders, Elijah Clark and Samuel Simpson. Wait, also a New Bern pastor, was appointed General Agent at a monthly salary of $35. Bearing all his own expenses, he traveled by horse and wagon all over the State in behalf of the denomination.
Wake Forest College was the idea of a Baptist who became pastor of the New Bern church. William Hooper, in August, 1832, presented to the convention a report recommending the “establishment of a Baptist Literary Institution in this State.” On the committee to secure a president were Hooper, Meredith, Armstrong and Wait. The other three committee members
selected Wait. Later Hooper
served as president of the college. During 1834 Armstrong obtained $17,000 in subscriptions for a new college dormitory.
Josiah J. Finch, pastor here from 1838 to 1844, was Corresponding Secretary of the State Convention for three years and Recording Secretary for four years. At one time he preached the opening convention sermon.
At first church pews were rented. Prayer meetings were frequently held in private residences. The salary of the early pastors was about $400 a year. Between pastorates a sermon was read Sunday mornings at the church. Neuse River shore was used until a church baptistry was built during the nineties.
Although only two members lived in town during Meredith's first pastorate, and only few others were in the neighboring territory, and there was not much wealth among the early congregations, the church grew steadily and fulfilled a high mission of religious and community service.
ORIGINAL FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH, JOHNSON AND METCALF STREETS
Picture of the original First Baptist Church in New Bern, North Carolina located on Johnson and Metcalf streets]
FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH, 1940
Picture of the First Baptist Church in New Bern, North Carolina in 1940]
When the original house of worship became too small for the expanding congregation, it was decided to build a large, new, brick building. The old church and lot were sold to the Christian Church. This site is now owned and occupied by St. Cyprian's Colored Episcopal Church.
Title to the present lot on Middle Street was obtained in April, 1845, upon payment of $1,000, by deed from Dr. John R. Justice to the “Trustees of the Regular Baptist Church of New Bern:” James Riggs, Elijah Clark, James C. Stevenson, Jr., James M. C. Brinson, A. T. Jerkins, E. R. Stanly
and Alexander Mitchell.
According to Col. John D. Whitford, later church historian, Mr. Clark knew that the members differed in their preferences for the new type of structure, so he went to New York by boat and obtained a plan from Thomas & Son, Baptist architects.
Strangely enough, the style of architecture followed is almost exactly like that of two Episcopal churches erected at about the same time: St. John's Church, built in Maury County, Tenn., by Bishop Leonidas Polk and his three brothers, 1839-41; and the Chapel of the Cross at Chapel Hill, N. C., which Bishop Joseph B. Cheshire said was erected, 1843-48, by a plan from a book of church drawings published about 1840 by John Henry Hopkins, Bishop of Vermont.
The attractive brick edifice here, still in use, was dedicated July 2, 1848, while the Rev. Martin Rudd Forey was pastor. It
cost $12,000. A large annex was built, and the interior of the main auditorium was modernized, at cost of nearly $10,000, during the first pastorate of the Rev. W. A. Ayers in the early part of the twentieth century. The present parsonage, bought for about $3,000, was first occupied by the Rev. C. A. Jenkens.
The historic church structure has been used for many church and civic purposes. It was there that the noted orator, Edward Everett, delivered here his famous address on George Washington in 1859. There the Baptist State Convention met in 1869.
Several members of the congregation organized the Tabernacle Baptist Church here during the last decade of the 19th century.
Thus serving many useful local ends and having a farreaching influence through its pastors and leaders, the First Baptist Church and its congregations have a record second to none in North Carolina, serving as a stirring inspiration for all its modern members to strive for continued progress and service.
INTERIOR OF FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH, 1942
Picture of the interior of the First Baptist Church in New Bern, North Carolina in 1942]
INTERESTING RELICS OF EARLY CHURCH
Many interesting relics of the early days of the First Baptist Church
are owned by Mrs. W. L. Lewis of New Bern.
Of outstanding importance is the first musical instrument used in the first church edifice of the denomination here. It was presented by the family of John N. Washington, members of the church, in 1811, when the original church was first used for services. Mrs. James Stevenson played it. Accompanying her from time to time were Mr. Stevenson, who played a violin, and Tom Stevenson, who played a cello.
An old communion service, of brittania ware, is of special significance. The set contains a tall, wine tankard, a tray, two bread plates and two wine cups. This set has not been used for many years.
Pictures of historic old houses and sites in New Bern are also of interest among Mrs. Lewis’ relics. There is a picture of the house at the corner of Middle and Craven Streets, owned and occupied by Elijah Clark, where in 1809 the Baptist Church was organized.
Born near New Bern November 8, 1774, just prior to the outbreak of the Revolutionary War, Mr. Clark died June 19, 1862, while a refugee at Graham during the War Between the States. He served as Sheriff and Treasurer of Craven County, and for some time was Mayor of New Bern and a trustee of the New Bern Academy.
In Mrs. Lewis’ collection are photographs of the first Baptist church on Johnson and Metcalf Streets and the present Baptist church, on Middle Street, before and after remodeling some years ago. The interior scenes are of particular significance. There are also a number of photographs of the early church officers and leaders, as well as a number of old church books and religious publications.
At the church is a mahogany table with a marble top, for years used as a communion table. It was given to the church by an ancestor of the late Representative S. M. Brinson.
Three marble markers in memory of devoted Baptists are at the church. These were memorials respectively to James Riggs, a loyal deacon; Mrs. Alonzo T. Jerkins, the marker being erected by her husband; and B. M. Gates, for many years Sunday School Superintendent, this marker having been erected by the Sunday School.
FRONT VIEW OF INTERIOR OF FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH, 1900
Picture of the front view of the interior of the First Baptist Church in New Bern, North Carolina in 1900]
REAR VIEW OF INTERIOR OF FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH, 1900
Picture of the rear view of the interior of the First Baptist Church in New Bern, North Carolina in 1900]
*THE REV. THOMAS MEREDITH. From this pastor Meredith College took its name. Founder of “The Biblical Recorder.”
*THE REV. JOSEPH ANDREWS WARNE. This pastor became the first principal of Furman Academy and Theological Institution at Edgefield Court-House, S. C.
*THE REV. SAMUEL WAIT. First president of Wake Forest College. Later president of
Oxford Female Seminary.
*THE REV. JOHN ARMSTRONG. An organizing leader and later professor of Wake Forest College.
*THE REV. J. J. FINCH. Principal Sedgewick Female Seminary.
*THE REV. RICHARD FURMAN, JR. A prominent educational leader. Furman University was named for him.
*THE REV. MARTIN R. FOREY. President of Chowan College.
*THE REV. J. M. C. BREAKER. Founder of “The Confederate Baptist.”
*THE REV. WILLIAM HOOPER. Originator of the plan to establish Wake Forest College, and its second president. Later president of Chowan Female Institute.
*THE REV. J. S. WALTHALL. Associate editor of “The Biblical Recorder.”
*THE REV. ABRAHAM DAVID COHEN. Resident superintendent of the Oxford Orphanage.
*ALONZO T. JERKINS. Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of North Carolina, A. F. & A. M., for three years.
*THE REV. C. A. JENKENS. Author of Baptist books.
*THE REV. THEODORE WHITEFIELD. Principal of a school for the blind in Mississippi, Professor of Greek at the
University of Mississippi, and editor of a Baptist paper at Meridian.
THE REV. HENRY WILSON BATTLE. Chaplain-in-Chief, Sons of Confederate Veterans. Camp Battle, army camp near New Bern, was recently named for his father, Maj. Gen. Cullen A. Battle, Confederate hero, who was a member of the local church and mayor of New Bern.
*THE REV. SAMUEL JUDSON PORTER. Author of religious books.
THE REV. HIGHT C. MOORE. Editor of The Biblical Recorder. Editorial Secretary Sunday School Board at Nashville, Tenn. Author of Biblical volumes.
*COL. JOHN D. WHITFORD. Author of a history of New Bern and the First Baptist Church.
*CHARLES CAUTHORN CLARK. A most eminent leader of the church. Grand Master of the Grand Lodge, A. F. & A. M.[note]
*GEORGE S. STEVENSON. Outstanding lawyer.
*JOHN C. WHITTY. Donor of the “Rowena Whitty Building,” a dormitory at the Baptist Orphanage at Thomasville.
*SAMUEL MITCHELL BRINSON. Craven County Superintendent of Education, then Member of Congress.
*MISS FANNIE HOLLAND. For years organist at the local church, and for 50 years or more a Sunday School teacher.
*ALFRED DECATUR WARD. Educational and political leader, long dean of the Craven County Bar.
*EDWARD CLARK. Mayor of New Bern, instrumental in educational progress.
THE REV. OSCAR HAYWOOD, D. D. State Representative, educator and author, and outstanding preacher and orator.
MRS. CARRIE COLE. Head of the Cradle Roll and Beginners’ Department in the Sunday School. For 58 years a Sunday School teacher.
THE REV. ROBERT L. PUGH. Craven County Superintendent of Education.[note]TWO OUTSTANDING EDUCATIONAL LEADERS
SAMUEL M. BRINSON
Member of Congress
Picture of Samuel M. Brinson,an outstanding leader of the First Baptist Church in New Bern, North Carolina]
ROBERT L. PUGH
Board of Deacons
Craven County Superintendents of Education
Picture of Robert L. Pugh, an outstanding leader of the First Baptist Church in New Bern, North Carolina]
EMINENT LEADERS OF EARLY CHURCH
Picture of Elijah Clark, an eminent leader of the early First Baptist Church in New Bern, North Carolina]
Picture of Zacchaeus Slade, an eminent leader of the early First Baptist Church in New Bern, North Carolina]
JOHN D. WHITFORD
Picture of John D. Whitford, an eminent leader of the early First Baptist Church in New Bern, North Carolina]
CHARLES C. CLARK
Picture of Charles C. Clark, an eminent leader of the early First Baptist Church in New Bern, North Carolina]
BAPTIST LEADERS OF RECENT YEARS
A. D. WARD
Picture of Alfred Decatur, a leader in the recent years of the First Baptist Church in New Bern, North Carolina]
DR. Z. V. PARKER
Picture of Dr. Z. V. Parker, a leader in the recent years of the First Baptist Church in New Bern, North Carolina]
F. H. WHITTY
Picture of F. H. Whitty, a leader in the recent years of the First Baptist Church in New Bern, North Carolina]
CHARLES W. LEWIS
Picture of Charles W. Lewis, a leader in the recent years of the First Baptist Church in New Bern, North Carolina]
OFFICIAL CHURCH DIRECTORY
BOARD OF DEACONS
Robert L. Pugh, Chairman; C. L. Carter, Secretary; J. F. Cuthrell, L. B. Daniel, W. F. Dowdy, Howard Falls, B. F. Hagood, J. T. Kennedy, J. B. Lovelace, N. E. Mohn, J. W. Sledge, W. B. Smith and A. L. Waters.CHURCH CLERK
L. B. DanielFINANCIAL SECRETARY
J. W. SledgeTREASURERS
|B. F. Hagood||Church|
|N. E. Mohn||Missions and Benevolences|
|Miss Lessie Huggins||Bible School|
|Mrs. Louis B. Daniel||Building and Loan|
Building and Grounds—C. L. Carter, Chairman; C. H. Hall, Mrs. J. E. Slater, Mrs. C. L. Carter.
Welcoming—W. F. Dowdy, Chairman; R. L. Pugh, L. B. Daniel.
Morning Ushers—C. H. Falls, Chairman; Billy Russell, J. W. Sledge, W. L. Alexander.
Evening Ushers—A. D. Grady, Chairman; Guilford Daugherty, Jack Morton, Rudolph Rowe.
Baptismal—Mrs. L. B. Daniel, Chairman; Mrs. R. J. Sheppard, C. H. Hall, B. F. Hagood.
Communion Service—Mrs. F. H. Whitty, N. E. Mohn.
Finance—B. F. Hagood, Chairman; J. T. Kennedy, N. E. Mohn, Miss Lessie Huggins, Mrs. L. B. Daniel.
Literature—B. F. Hagood.BIBLE SCHOOL
|J. T. Kennedy, Superintendent||J. W. Sledge, Associate Superintendent|
|N. E. Mohn, Secretary||Miss Lessie Huggins, Treasurer|
Mrs. Carrie Cole, Cradle Roll and Beginners. Mrs. S. H. Fowler, Primary. Mrs. J. H. Sawyer, Junior. Mrs. C. L. Carter, Intermediate. Mrs. Reginald Lowery, Young People. Ernest Gillikin, Adult.BAPTIST TRAINING UNION
|Mrs. Reginald Lowery, Director.||Carl Southerland, Assistant Director.|
Donald Smith, Director.
Miss Naomi Wilson and Miss Doris Harker, Organists.LADIES’ AID SOCIETY
Mrs. W. J. Lucas, President.WOMAN'S MISSIONARY UNION
President, Mrs. C. H. Hall; First Vice-President, Mrs. L. B. Daniel; Second Vice-President, Mrs. Raymond Maxwell; Third Vice-President, Mrs. B. M. Potter; Recording Secretary, Mrs. W. K. Russell; Treasurer, Mrs. W. J. Lucas; Assistant Treasurer, Mrs. R. J. Sheppard; Community Missions Chairmen, Mrs. H. B. Jones and Mrs. B. H. Harrison; Mission Study Chairman, Mrs. R. L. Jenkins; Y. W. A. Counselor, Miss Lessie Huggins; Intermediate G. A. Counselor, Mrs. J. H. Sawyer; Junior G. A. Counselor, Mrs. Thomas Coleman; R. A. Counselor, Mrs. J. W. Sledge
; Sunbeam Leaders, Mrs. J. H. Sawyer and Miss Jewel Wade.CIRCLE LEADERS
Ruth Walden, Mrs. J. E. Peacock; Elkin Lockett, Mrs. C. H. Dixon; Juliet Blanchard, Mrs. R. J. Sheppard; Elsie Clor, Mrs. H. L. Winfield; Katie Murray, Mrs. George Waters.
PRESIDENTS OF TWO WOMEN'S CHURCH GROUPS
MRS. C. H. HALL
Woman's Missionary Union
Picture of Mrs. C. H. Hall, the President of the Woman's Missionary Union, a Women's group in the First Baptist Church in New Bern, North Carolina]
TWO OLDEST SURVIVING CHURCH MEMBERS
MRS. W. J. LUCAS
Ladies’ Aid Society
Picture of Mrs. W. J. Lucas, the President of the Ladies's Aid Society, a Women's group in the First Baptist Church in New Bern, North Carolina]
WILLIAM P. METTS
Oldest Baptized Member
Picture of William P. Metts, one of two of the oldest members of the First Baptist Church in New Bern, North Carolina]
MRS. W. L. LEWIS
Oldest Member in Age
Picture of Mrs. W. L. Lewis, one of two of the oldest members of the First Baptist Church in New Bern, North Carolina]
Mr. Metts and Mrs. Lewis, brother and sister, both of whom are natives and lifelong residents of New Bern, joined the First Baptist Church in 1876. They are great-grandchildren of Elijah Clark, one of the three organizers of the First Baptist Church. Mr. Metts formerly served as a valued deacon of the church, and Mrs. Lewis
was a former leading soprano in the church choir.
FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH DEACONS, 1943
C. L. CARTER
Picture of C. L. Carter, a Deacon of the Frist Baptist Church in New Bern, North Carolina]
L. B. DANIEL
Picture of L. B. Daniel, a Deacon of the Frist Baptist Church in New Bern, North Carolina]
C. H. FALLS
Picture of H. Falls, a Deacon of the Frist Baptist Church in New Bern, North Carolina]
J. F. CUTHRELL
Picture of J. F. Cuthrell, a Deacon of the Frist Baptist Church in New Bern, North Carolina]
W. F. DOWDY
Picture of W. F. Dowdy, a Deacon of the Frist Baptist Church in New Bern, North Carolina]
B. F. HAGOOD
Picture of B. F. Hagood, a Deacon of the Frist Baptist Church in New Bern, North Carolina]
FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH DEACONS. 1943
J. T. KENNEDY
Picture of J. T. Kennedy, a Deacon of the Frist Baptist Church in New Bern, North Carolina]
N. E. MOHN
Picture of N. E. Mohn, a Deacon of the Frist Baptist Church in New Bern, North Carolina]
W. B. SMITH
Picture of W. B. Smith, a Deacon of the Frist Baptist Church in New Bern, North Carolina]
J. B. LOVELACE
Picture of J. B. Lovelace, a Deacon of the Frist Baptist Church in New Bern, North Carolina]
J. W. SLEDGE
Picture of J. W. Sledge, a Deacon of the Frist Baptist Church in New Bern, North Carolina]
A. L. WATERS
Picture of A. L. Waters, a Deacon of the Frist Baptist Church in New Bern, North Carolina]
CONTRIBUTORS TO THE 1943 CHURCH BUILDING FUND
|Mr. and Mrs. W. L. Alexander||Herbert Gillikin||Mr. & Mrs. J. W. Morton|
|Miss Leata Allen||Mrs. James Harker||Mr. and Mrs. Herman E. Mattocks|
|Miss Ola Andrews||Mr. and Mrs. C. H. Hall|
|Mrs. J. D. Arnold||R. A. Harkey||Miss Henry Metts|
|Sam Anderson||Mr. and Mrs. B. F. Hagood||Mrs. R. P. Montague|
|Mrs. Joe Anderson||Mrs. B. L. Harrison||Mrs. Harold Miller|
|Rodney Alexander||Mr. and Mrs. H. I. Hagood||Miss Lucille Meredith|
|Kenneth Alexander||Miss Lessie Huggins||Men's Bible Class|
|Ed. Ballenger||A. S. Hardison (1881-1936)||Mr. and Mrs. W. L. Munns|
|Mr. and Mrs. C. E. Baker||Mrs. A. S. Hardison||Mrs. James Mitchell|
|C. A. Broadway, Jr.||A. S. Hardison, Jr.||Mrs. Eugene McSorley, Jr.|
|Mrs. W. L. Benners||H. I. Harrell||Mrs. L. B. Newland|
|Miss Jean Benners||Mr. & Mrs. Frank Harrell||Miss Constance Newton|
|Billy Benners||Mrs. B. G. Harker||Robert L. Pugh|
|J. W. Burton||Mrs. C. P. Harker||Dr. Raymond Pollock|
|Mrs. Glenn Burkhart||Dr. William Hollister||Mrs. T. E. Peek|
|Miss Margaret Burkhart||Miss Lyda Hornsby||Mrs. J. A. Peacock|
|Malcolm Bizzell||Mr. and Mrs. Allen Hunsinger||Mrs. B. M. Potter|
|Beginners Department||Mrs. B. C. Harrison||Lt. M. M. Pierce|
|Baptist Training Union||Jeanette Harrison||Mrs. Florence Pierce|
|Ann Barton||Mrs. H. S. Hancock||Dr. & Mrs. Z. V. Parker|
|Mrs. R. B. Boyd||Mrs. Rufus Harris, Jr.||Thomas Peek|
|John J. Berry||Roy J. Hart||L. A. Powell|
|Mr. and Mrs. C. L. Carter||Mr. and Mrs. S. C. Hobby||Mr. and Mrs. E. E. Purifoy|
|Mr. and Mrs. T. B. Coleman||Mr. & Mrs. Charlie Ipock||Mr. and Mrs. Paul O'Quinn|
|Mr. and Mrs. W. L. Cahoon||Intermediate Sunday School Dept.||Mrs. William Russell|
|J. F. Cuthrell||Billy Russell|
|Mrs. J. R. Carney||Harry Jacobs||Mr. and Mrs. J. K. Rooks|
|Coastal Broadcasting Company||Miss Faye Jenkins||N. F. Rowe|
|Mrs. Carrie Cole||Mrs. Alma Jones||Mrs. J. L. Riggs|
|Mrs. Sam Cook||Sam A. Jones||Eddie Russell|
|Mrs. T. D. Carraway||Mr. and Mrs. R. L. Jenkins||Mrs. A. M. Rea|
|Mrs. Needham Crowe||Miss Ruth Jenkins||Donald Smith|
|Mr. and Mrs. E. H. Carico||Miss Sybil Jenkins||Mrs. Elizabeth B. Slater|
|Mr. and Mrs. W. C. Carlton||Miss Jane M. Jenkins||W. B. Smith|
|Mrs. C. B. Cayton||Miss Mary Ellen Jenkins||Joe E. Slater, Jr.|
|Mrs. W. P. Cherry||Junior Fidelis Class||Mr. and Mrs. John G. Slater|
|Mr. and Mrs. O. C. Crump||Junior Sunday School Dept.||J. H. Sawyer and family|
|W. F. Dowdy||Mrs. Norman Kellum||James H. Sawyer, Jr.|
|Mr. and Mrs. L. B. Daniel||Mr. and Mrs. J. T. Kennedy||Mr. and Mrs. R. J. Shepard|
|Miss Page Daniel||Miss Elizabeth Kennedy||Miss Mamie Sadler|
|Louis B. Daniel, Jr.||Jimmy Kennedy||Miss Celia Singletary|
|Christine Temple Daniel||Mrs. C. H. Kehoe||Mr. and Mrs. H. M. Shives|
|Mr. and Mrs. C. H. Dixon||Mrs. W. J. Lucas||Mrs. W. L. Speight|
|Mr. and Mrs. Roy Dixon||Shelton L. Lucas||Mr. and Mrs. Paul Stewart|
|Mrs. Lonie Duffy||W. L. Lewis (1849-1929), a deacon and honored member of the church||Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Sledge|
|Mrs. O. C. Dibble||Lamar Sledge|
|Miss Eva F. Dixon||Senior Fidelis Class|
|Mrs. John C. Duffy||Mrs. W. L. Lewis||Mrs. Walter Smith|
|Mrs. Tom C. Daniels||Mrs. H. Landreth||M. C. Torian|
|Franklin Dibble||Mr. and Mrs. J. B. Lovelace||M. D. Taylor|
|Mrs. R. L. Dixon||Mrs. John T. Lincoln||Rev. & Mrs. R. A. Thompson|
|Mrs. P. A. Dixon||Mr. and Mrs. Joe Lewis||Mr. & Mrs. R. G. Turnbull|
|Guilford Daugherty||Mr. and Mrs. W. R. Lowery||Mrs. J. A. Tolar|
|Lucille Daugherty||Ladies Aid Society||Mrs. A. Wade|
|Mr. Esler||Mr. and Mrs. George Lovell||Louise Tolar|
|Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Edwards||James Lucas||Mrs. Madelina Whorton|
|John Edwards||Mr. and Mrs. J. J. Lewis||Mr. and Mrs. A. L. Waters and family|
|Elkin Lockett Circle||Mr. and Mrs. Ralph Lewis|
|Eunice Lois Class||Mrs. N. L. McLawhorn||Mrs. F. H. Whitty|
|Mrs. K. J. Eaton||Mr. and Mrs. N. E. Mohn||Fred Whitty|
|E. C. Edgerton||Richard Mohn||John C. Whitty|
|George R. Fuller||Robert Mohn||Mrs. Eleanor Wilson|
|Mr. and Mrs. Howard Falis||Charles Mohn||Mr. & Mrs. R. E. Whitehurst|
|Mrs. S. H. Fowler||Mr. & Mrs. Raymond Maxwell||W. C. Willis|
|Mr. and Mrs. R. O. Fagan||Raymond Maxwell, Jr.||Mrs. Herlot Winfield|
|Mrs. Clayton Fulcher||Kathryn Maxwell||Mrs. K. R. Wade|
|Mrs. Ella J. Fisher||Garey Maxwell||Miss Jewel Wade|
|Rev. & Mrs. Thomas W. Fryer||Mr. and Mrs. T. J. Mitchell||Mrs. H. C. Waldrop|
|Thomas W. Fryer, Jr.||Mrs. C. S. Mitchell||Mrs. George Waters|
|Laura Frances Fryer||Mrs. A. C. Mellus||Miss Naomi Wilson|
|Mrs. J. H. Grice||Mrs. Carrie McDaniel||Woman's Missionary Society|
|Mr. & Mrs. Ernest Gillikin||W. P. Metts||Mrs. Craig White|
|Mrs. A. J. Grady||Mrs. Ester McCandless|
Publication of this booklet was made possible through the courtesy of Belk's Department Store, next-door neighbors to the First Baptist Church in New Bern.