Date: 1900 - 1912 |
Identifier: Country Doctor Museum
One thing that has not changed between now and the early 20th century is the use of examining tables. This type of table was first made by W. D. Allison & Company in 1893 and continued to be manufactured until the early 20th century. The table features drawers and a cabinet for storage and has a head rest that was held up by a small wooden wedge. The two metal pieces at the foot of the table were used to hold gynecological stirrups. Originally the table had a roll of paper, attached just behind the top of the head rest, that could be pulled over the table for sanitary purposes. The doctor who owned this table was Dr. Thomas Henry Avera, a country doctor from Eagle Rock, North Carolina. Dr. Avera lived from 1832 – 1912. more...