Apothecary bottle with cover
Date: 1813 - 1873 |
Identifier: Historic Hope Plantation
This green, blown glass, bottle is believed to have been an apothecary bottle that once contained medicine. A leather cover that is smooth from wear fits tightly around bottle to protect the glass. Medicines in the 1800s were often mixed from natural ingredients, oftentimes with sugar or alcohol to form a syrup. Both cookbooks and specialized "dispensatory" guides gave recipes for medicines. Date approximated. Accompanying video describes the use of the object. more...