Staff Person: Maury York
Description: Willard and Daisy Rowe of Franklin County, North Carolina, established the Evangelical Baptist Mission in 1960. They carried out missionary work in Franklin County and in Guatemala for more than 45 years. They engaged in personal witnessing, established churches, wrote newspaper columns in English and Spanish, sponsored Bible courses through correspondence, and ministered to migrant workers. In 1963, they began radio broadcasts throughout Central America and Mexico. During some of their time in Guatemala, the Rowes faced resistance from the Catholic Church and dangers associated with political unrest. This poster, published ca. 1977, highlights some of their work.
Source: George Leland Dyer Papers, #340
Staff Person: Nanette Hardison
Description: This image from the George Leland Dyer Papers is of a Sumay girl, a native of the Mariana Islands located in Guam. It was taken in 1905 on the occasion of the girl’s marriage.
Source: University Archives 55-01-1927
Staff Person: Kacy Guill
Description: John Messick, president of East Carolina College, is riding in a Chevy Bel Air in the Farmville, North Carolina Farmer’s Day parade, April 1955. Walter B. Jones, former mayor of Farmville and member of the North Carolina Assembly, is in the front seat.
Source: University Archives UA55-01-8226
Staff Person: Arthur Carlson
This picture from the University Archives features Cortez W. Peters, Sr who held the world record as the World’s Fastest Typist (UA55-01-8226). Born in Maryland, Peters achieved a then world record of 141 words per minute in 1925. With the advent of improved typing technology, Peters eventually peaked at 180 words per minute perfectly, a record that would stand until his son, Cortez W. Peters, Jr. surpassed his father. A favorite guest of television variety show hosts, he also aided the Allied war effort during WWII by acquiring and donating typewriters for use by the Federal government. A decade later, Peters opened with his son the first black-owned typing schools, the Cortez Peters Business Schools, featuring offices in Chicago, Baltimore, and Washington, DC. The schools served over 45,000 students. He visited East Carolina to meet with business students during summer school sessions that allowed blacks to attend classes before the formal desegregation of East Carolina. Peters passed away in 1964 at the age of 57 in Washington, DC.
Source: James N. Joyner Papers (#429), East Carolina Manuscript Collection
Staff Person: Lynette Lundin
James Noah Joyner was born in 1888. He attended the University of North Carolina, and was later employed by the British-American Tobacco Company (B.A.T.) in China from 1912 to 1935. He worked and traveled the whole time he was in China. He maintained close ties with his family in North Carolina and later managed the family farm. He became the division manager before coming home to North Carolina and died at the age of 83.
These photographs are of a farewell group in Nanking, China, (B.A.T.) managers, fellow employees and James Joyner before he returns to North Carolina.
Source: Elihu A. White Papers, #14.11.a (P-14/6)
Staff Person: Jonathan Dembo
Description: This photograph of Carpenter’s Hall, Philadelphia dates from the 1870s. It’s name derives from the fact that it was originally built in 1770-1773 to serve as a meeting hall for the Carpenters’ Companies of the City and County of Philadelphia, the nation’s oldest surviving trade guild. The handwritten caption on the verso of the photograph reads: “Carpenter’s Hall, Philadelphia, Pa. Birthplace of Liberty. Built 1770. The Hall where the first Continental Congress was held Sept. 5 1774″. Located on Chestnut Street it is only a few blocks away from the Pennsylvania State House, better known as Independence Hall. The First Continental Congress, met in Carpenter’s Hall, in September and October of 1774 because the State House was being used by the Colonial Assembly at the time. It was during its sessions, here, that the Congress banned the further importation of slaves and to end the slave trade between the colonies. The Hall later served as a hospital for wounded and sick soldiers, both British and American during the Revolution. Designed by architect Robert Smith (1722-1777), the building is a two-story Georgian style brick structure. It is one of the few building extant in the 1770s that continues to be used for its original purpose. Over the years, Carpenter’s Hall has housed a wide variety of organizations, including Benjamin Franklin’s American Philosophical Society and his Library Company of Philadelphia. It also served as home to both the First and Second Banks of the United States. While open to the public and operated in cooperation with the National Park Service, the building is still in private hands and remains the meeting place for the Carpenter’s Company and other labor organizations. It looks today much as it did in the 1870s and 1770s. Elihu A. White (1824-1900) probably acquired the photograph on a visit to Philadelphia during the 1870s or 1880s. White was a Quaker farmer and business leader from Belvidere, North Carolina. He was also heavily involved in social reform, education, and Republican political activities. He served in a variety of local offices and was a member of the Reconstruction era State Senate 1868-1870. He served as a collector of Internal Revenue during the Rutherford B. Hayes, Benjamin Harrison administrations, 1879-1893. He was a member of the Board of Trustees of the University of North Carolina in the 1890s. Throughout his life White was active in a variety of local, state, and national Temperance and Prohibition organizations, including the Women’s Christian Temperance Union was led the campaign to prohibit the sale of alcohol in the United States.
Posted by Jonathan Dembo under East Carolina Manuscript Collection, Format, photographs, postcards and Tags: American Philosophical Society, American Revolution, Belivdere, Benjamin Franklin, Benjamin Harrison, Buildings, Carpenter's Company of the City and County of Philadelphia, Carpenter's Hall, Chestnut Street, Collector of Internal Revenue, Elihu A. White, First Bank of the United States, First Continental Congress, Library Company of Philadelphia, North Carolina, North Carolina State Senate, Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania State House (Independence Hall), Philadelphia, prohibition, Quakers, Reconstruction Era, Republican Party, Robert Smith (1722-1777), Rutherford B. Hayes, Second Bank of the United States, Temperance, United States National Park Service, University of North Carolina Board of Trustees, Women's Christian Temperance Union
Source: John B. Green Collection #380.2.b
Staff Person: Jonathan Dembo
Description: Seen in the photograph above are four, unnamed, concrete-hulled river steamers at the Newport Shipping Corporation shipyard, in New Bern, North Carolina. They are obviously incomplete and unnamed. Built to solve the desperate shortage of steel for shipping during World War I, they were just one of the many innovations, from flame-throwers to tanks to aerial warfare, inspired by the “War to End All Wars”. During the first World War, steel had become so scarce that the U. S. Shipping Corporation which controlled all American shipping during the war, recommended that President Woodrow Wilson approve the construction of 24 such concrete ships. Of the 24, only 12 were built, at a total cost of $50 million. The Newport Shipbuilding Corporation of New Bern, NC was one of the companies selected to build the ships. Not one of the ships was finished in time to contribute to the war effort and were launched only in 1921, just when a huge surplus of now-unneeded shipping was beginning to flood the market. By the time the ships were completed, the war was already long over and the nation was still mired in a deep postwar recession. Just what happened to the ships built in New Bern is a matter of some conjecture. Most of the others sank or were converted to other purposes such as breakwaters, hotels, and fishing piers. It is unclear what happened to some of them. Please contact the author if you know the present location of any of the New Bern built concrete ships.
Posted by Jonathan Dembo under East Carolina Manuscript Collection, Format, photographs and Tags: boats, Concrete ships, maritime history, New Bern, Newport Shipbuilding Corporation (New Bern NC), North Carolina, Shipbuilding, ships, Shipyards, Steamers, transportation, U. S. Shipping Corporation, Woodrow WIlson, World War I
Source: Daily Reflector Negative Collection, Manuscript Collection #741
Staff Person: Maury York
Description: A family works together in 1957 to maintain the appearance of the yard of their home in the College View neighborhood.
4 April 2012
Source: Special Collections Reference Collection PG2689 .U56 1943
Staff Person: Ralph Scott
Description: This restricted World War II publication by the War Department “contains the Russian words and expressions you are most likely to need.” It was designed for use by Allied service personnel serving in the Soviet Union. The book contains such useful phrases as “Help”, “I am lost”, “I am poisoned”, “He was bitten by a snake” as well as “The U.S. Government will pay you” translated into Russian. One section on communications contains the phrases “reverse the charges” and “Will you speak to anybody at that number?” Designed as handy little helps for service personnel the book was designed to be shown to the person speaking Russian, and no doubt came in handy when “in-country.” While the publication was restricted, it could be shared with “persons of undoubted loyalty and discretion.” This Army Technical Manual as well as a number of others were given to Joyner Library by Professor Larry Babits of the History Department.
Staff Person: Dale Sauter
Today’s staff pick features an undated photograph (left to right) of Major Orren Randolph Smith, his daughter Jessica and John T. B. Hoover. Smith and Hoover were both Confederate veterans who fought in the Civil War. On the back of the photograph a statement is written that Smith created the “Stars and Bars” (the first official flag of the Confederacy), and that his daughter verified this in the 1940s. However, it is also believed that Nicola Marschall (a Prussian artist), inspired by the Austrian flag, first designed the Confederate flag. There became much conflict between the descendants of the two individuals regarding who was the first to design the flag. Nevertheless, Smith’s tombstone in Henderson, North Carolina bears the inscription “designer of the Stars and Bars”.