Source: Lula M. Disosway Papers, 1897-1977 (E C Manuscript collection #447) Staff Member: Nanette Hardison Lula Disosway was a native North Carolinian (born in New Bern) who became both a doctor and a surgeon (a remarkable accomplishment for a woman at that time) and who used her medical knowledge to serve as a medical missionary [...]
Source: Minges Collection #1136.1.a Staff Person: Dale Sauter Description: Original, signed letter from Caleb (C. D.) Bradham, Sr., inventor of Pepsi-Cola, to Dr. Jos. J. Watson in South Carolina promoting Pepsi-Cola as a safe drink. Bradham also mentions some basic ingredients found in the beverage (1917).
Source: Edward Merritt McEachern, Jr., Collection #25.2.c Staff Person: Martha Elmore Description: The Keeley Institute in Greensboro, N.C., was established circa 1891 and it survived until 1961. From 1906 on the Institute operated at Blandwood, the former home of N.C. Governor John Motley Morehead. The Greensboro location was just one of over more than 200 [...]
Source: University Archives Staff Person: Lynette Lundin Description: Health conditions at ECTTC are one of the major topics mentioned in the Board of Trustees minutes from 1918. There were 141 cases of the Spanish flu recorded on campus, but there was no record of serious complications. Worldwide this was not the same. This flu epidemic [...]
Source: William S. W. Ruschenberger Papers, East Carolina Manuscript Collection #629 Staff Person: Lynette Lundin Description: William S. W. Ruschenberger served in the U.S. Medical Corps from 1826 until 1869. His first ship was the U.S. frigate BRANDYWINE (1826-1829), which sailed to many ports in South America. He was aboard the USS PEACOCK from 1831 [...]
Source: Frank Wooten Jr, Papers, East Carolina Manuscript Collection #126 David A. Norris Collection, East Carolina Manuscript Collection #687 Staff Person: Coleen Allen Description: The white building was Greenville’s original hospital know as Pitt Community Hospital, and was located on Johnston Street, parallel to East Fourth St. When the hospital opened in 1924, it had [...]