Blount-Harvey Department Store26 May 2011
Source: Daily Reflector Negative Collection (#741)
Staff Person: Maury York
Description: This view of the Blount-Harvey department store, located on the northwest corner of Evans and Fourth Streets in downtown Greenville, was taken in 1956. The store, which moved to this building in 1923, featured a wide variety of clothing and dry goods. An extensive renovation project undertaken between 1956 and 1958 completely obscured this facade. The store closed in 1985 and sat vacant for many years. The Glenn family restored the building to its original appearance in 2005 and moved its retail business, Jefferson’s, to it the following year. The tower of the Memorial Baptist Church, subsequently demolished, can be seen in the distance.