Blue Ridge Parkway20 September 2007
Source: Capus Waynick Papers, Manuscript Collection 421
Staff Person: Dale Sauter
This week’s staff pick celebrates the twentieth anniversary of the completion of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Originally a Depression-era public works project, the original groundbreaking took place in September 1935. In 1987 the last section was completed near Grandfather Mountain. The parkway is an official part of the United States National Park System. Sources: http://www.nps.gov/blri/ and http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/
The two photographs below represent very early development of the parkway. The photos have the following inscriptions: “Blue Ridge Parkway. Section 2c. Perry McGlone Contractor. Construction at ‘Ice Rock.’ 8/5/36″
“Blue Ridge Parkway. Section 2c. Taken at ‘Ice Rocks.’ Waynick-Ross-Browning-Cates. 8/12/36″
From accompanying correspondence, it is pretty certain that “Cates” is J. R. Cates, claim adjuster for the North Carolina State Highway and Public Works Commission. “Waynick” is Capus Waynick, Chairman of the commission. Waynick served in this position from 1934-1937.
Waynick was a native of Rockingham County, NC and had a long career as a journalist, legislator, administrator, diplomat and arbiter. His papers document this career and can be found here in the East Carolina Manuscript Collection. A finding aid is available at Manuscript Collection 421 Please contact us with any questions or comments you may have.