Improved Jordan Grits Separator15 May 2007
Source: F. Rehm & Sons Company Records, East Carolina Manuscript Collection #469
Staff Person: Dale Sauter
This sales brochure dates from January 1915 and advertises “The Improved Jordan Grits Separator.” This item can be found in the F. Rhem & Sons Company Records.
Records include correspondence, legal and financial papers, estate papers, receipts, financial records, surveys, newspaper clippings, photographs, bills of lading, genealogy, stock certificates, corporation minutes, and land records.
Furnifold Rhem, Sr. (1820-1888), founder of the F. Rhem Co., was the son of Jacob and Signey Fonville Gooding Rhem of Craven County, N.C. He moved to Williamsburg/Georgetown Counties, S.C., in 1846. His wife, Laura A. Cook, was the daughter of John and Louise Humprey Cook, also of North Carolina. Their two sons, Durward Dudley (1862-1922) and Furnifold, Jr. (1864-1918), joined their father in the businesses, which, in April 1886, became F. Rhem & Sons Company.
After F. Rhem, Sr.’s, death in 1888, responsibility for the company’s management was assumed by his sons. Before his death, however, he had established the foundation for the diversified businesses which subsequently included the production and sale of cotton, naval stores, turpentine, the Black River and Mingo Steamboat Co., Rhem Real Estate Co., Rhem Dock & Terminal Co., Rhem Timber and Land Co., and the Rhem Shingle Co.
Click on the image to see an enlarged version.