Historical Sketch of
Text from Principal Investigator
Named for one of the Gorgons of Greek mythology,
commissioned 18 September 1924. Designed as a fleet repair ship that could
perform major repairs beyond the fighting ship's own capabilities but not
requiring a Navy Yard,
spent her naval career with the
was equipped with foundry, blacksmith,
electrical, pipe, carpentry, machine, and motion picture shops. She held
lathes, radial drills, milling, slotting, and boring machines, as well as
optical repair apparatus, armature bake ovens, and coil winding machines.
She had large laundry, bakery, and refrigeration units.
On 7 December 1941,
was at Pearl Harbor. During the action
there, she helped to down two Japanese planes and sink a midget submarine,
in addition to rendering assistance to numerous stricken vessels. At the
end of the attack
undertook the task for which she was
Before each big battle she insured the ship-shape condition of the
combatants; afterwards, she helped patch the damage. On 4 April 1943,
got underway for the combat area. She spent the next year in
the New Hebrides, before moving on to New Guinea and Guadalcanal. On 1 June
1944 she steamed to Sydney for repairs to her hull. In January 1945 she
serviced ships engaged in the capture of Luzon and other enemy-held islands
in the Philippines and the Ryukyus until 6 July. Decommissioned on 18
November 1947 at Bremerton,
was stripped and, on 24 August
1950, her hulk was sold to Zeidell Shipwrecking Co.
one battle star for World War II service.
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
vols., (Navy Department, Office of Chief of Naval Operations, Naval History
Division, Washington, DC, 1963), Volume IV, pp.311-312.
| Manuscripts and Rare Books
| Joyner Library
East Carolina University
Page Updated 21 August 2003
© 2003 J. Y. Joyner Library, East Carolina University