September 4, 1979, 215 items; Correspondence (1978-1979), foundation minutes (1965-1978), biography manuscript, and miscellaneous items. Gift of Dr. C. Sylvester Green, Statesville, N.C.
Literary rights to specific documents are retained by the authors or their descendants in accordance with U.S. copyright law.
Rachel Maxwell Moore Collection (#387), East Carolina Manuscript Collection, J. Y. Joyner Library, East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina, USA.
- Gift of Dr. C. Sylvester Green
The collection consists of Dr. Green's materials for his book
Dr. Green's original typed manuscript and two photocopies of proofs are included as are letters and memoranda related to the book, a copy of Mrs. Moore's will, the minutes of the Rachel Maxwell Moore Art Foundation (1965-1978), and a booklet,
First Fifty Years, 1917-1967, The Woman's Club, Greenville, North Carolina. Mrs. Moore was active in civic and educational affairs in Greenville from 1922 until her death in 1964. The collection contains information on Greenville, with letters from members of Mrs. Moore's family, Dr. Leo Jenkins, and many prominent citizens of Greenville.
The following terms have been used to index the description of this collection in the
Reading Room's card catalog. This system is no longer maintained, but it is left in place to
help on-site researchers locate particular topics in the collection.
Geographic Entry :
- North Carolina, Greenville
Autograph Entries :
- Green, C[harles] Sylvester 1978-1979
- Jenkins, Leo W[arren] (2) 1979
- Speight, Francis 1979
- Speight, Sarah 1979
Subject Entries :
- ART AND ARTISTS— Galleries and Museums— Greenville, N.C.
- ART AND ARTISTS— Organizations— East Carolina Art Society
- ART AND ARTISTS— Speight, Francis
- ART AND ARTISTS— Speight, Sarah
- BOOKS AND AUTHORS— Rachel Maxwell Moore and Art in Greenville, N.C.
- MUSEUMS— Greenville Art Center
- WOMEN— Organizations— Greenville Woman's Club
Genealogy Entries :
- BLOUNT FAMILY-Pitt Co., N.C.
- MAXWELL FAMILY— Duplin Co., Wayne Co., and Greenville, N.C.; Georgia