May 13, 1971, 1 item; Diary (1862-1865). Purchased by J. Y. Joyner Library, Greenville, North Carolina.
Literary rights to specific documents are retained by the authors or their descendants in accordance with U.S. copyright law.
Francis W. Knowles Papers (#164), East Carolina Manuscript Collection, J. Y. Joyner Library, East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina, USA.
- Purchased by J. Y. Joyner Library
The Francis W. Knowles Papers consist of a diary scrapbook (1862-1865) written by Private Knowles while serving in Company B of the 36th Massachusetts Volunteers. The diary records the activities of Knowles, who was mainly a clerk, as he participated with the IX Corps at Fredericksburg (December, 1862), in the District of Indiana and Michigan (June-September, 1863), the Knoxville Campaign (November-December, 1863), the Wilderness campaign (May, 1864), the Spotsylvania Courthouse campaign (May, 1864), at Cold Harbor (June 3-4, 1864), and in the Petersburg campaign (June, 1864-April, 1865).
Entries of interest include a description of camp life at Camp Wool in Massachusetts (August, 1862); the activities of the Confederate raider John Morgan in Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana (June-July, 1863); and the activities of the Knights of the Golden Circle in Kentucky (September-November, 1863). Also included are a report by General Edwin V. Sumner of the Battle of Fredericksburg in which he commanded the Right Grand Division; newspaper clipping entitled "The Last Night of Fredericksburg" by Joshua L. Chamberlain; autographs of Ambrose B. Burnside, Lewis Richmond, and John G. Parke; maps of the various campaigns in which Knowles participated; battlefield sketches; and field orders. Knowles was mustered out of the army in June of 1865.
The following terms have been used to index the description of this collection in the
Reading Room's card catalog. This system is no longer maintained, but it is left in place to
help on-site researchers locate particular topics in the collection.
Geographic Entry :
Autograph Entry :
- Wilcox, General O[rlando] B[olivar] (2) 1865, 1885
Subject Entries :
- MASSACHUSETTS--Civil War--Units
- WAR--CIVIL--Battles--Cold Harbor, 1864
- WAR--CIVIL--Battles--Fort Stedman, 1865
- WAR--CIVIL--Battles--Fredericksburg, 1862
- WAR--CIVIL--Battles--Wilderness, 1864
- WAR--CIVIL--Campaigns--Knoxville, 1863
- WAR--CIVIL--Campaigns--Petersburg, 1864-1865
- WAR--CIVIL--Campaigns--Spotsylvania, 1864
- WAR--CIVIL--Camp Life--Massachusetts
- WAR--CIVIL--Ohio Valley--1863
- WAR--CIVIL--Organizations--Knights of the Golden Circle
- WAR--CIVIL--Units--9th U.S. Army Corps
Date Entry :