Laupus Library is named for Dr. William E. Laupus, M.D. Dr. Laupus received his medical degree from Yale University in 1945. In 1976, Dr. Laupus became the dean of the School of Medicine at East Carolina University and began work to turn the unaccredited medical school from a two year school to a fully accredited 4 year program. Dr. William E. Laupus witnessed the graduation of the first class from the School of Medicine in 1981. He guided the construction of what is now the Brody School of Medicine building from 1985-1988.
The Health Affairs Library was established in 1969 with Dr. Jo Ann Bell as its director. Its mission was to serve the fledgling School of Health Affairs. It was started with only one professional librarian and 12 tons of donated books. Throughout the years, Laupus Library has grown to serve Vidant Health Center (formerly Pitt Community Hospital) and, through EAHEC, health care professionals across Eastern North Carolina.
It has been housed in four locations: the old cafeteria building, the Biology Building (now Howell), the Belk Building , then the Brody Building. In 2006, it moved to its current location, the Health Sciences Building. The Health Sciences Building is a 300,000 square foot, state-of-the-art educational center shared with the College of Allied Health Sciences and the College of Nursing.