|Title:||Eden Methodist Church Collection|
|Creator:||Eden Methodist Church|
|Repository:||ECU Manuscript Collection|
|Extent:||0.508 Cubic feet, 174 items , consisting of correspondence, attendance records, programs, photographs, clippings, church history, minutes, reports, pamphlets, financial records, deeds and miscellaneous.|
February 17, 1970, 83 items; Collection of Eden Methodist Church, consisting of correspondence, programs, membership lists, church history, clippings, and miscellaneous.
March 10, 1976, (addition 1), 8 items; Correspondence, minutes, reports.
April 30, 1986, (addition 2), 77 items; Programs, bulletins, and clippings.
December 29, 1987, (addition 3), 35 items; Correspondence, S.S. records (1919), programs, photographs, clippings and pamphlets. Gift of Dr. Ralph Hardee Rives
August 26, 2012, (unprocessed addition 4), 6 items; Papers (1963-2010, undated) include an undated excerpt from an 1828 deed allotting tracts from the estate of Jesse Hillman, a 1966 typed copy of an 1803 deed concerning Eaden [sic] meeting house, a photocopy of a 1963 deed and a 1963 deed related to the West Halifax Charge parsonage, an undated letter related to the Eden church closing and a 2010 homecoming announcement for Eden United Methodist Church. Donor: Dr. Ralph Hardee Rives
Literary rights to specific documents are retained by the authors or their descendants in accordance with U.S. copyright law.
Eden Methodist Church Collection (#CR0002), East Carolina Manuscript Collection, J. Y. Joyner Library, East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina, USA.
Processed by L. Turner, February 1993
Encoded by Apex Data Services
The Eden Methodist Church, in Enfield, N.C., was established in 1760 as an Anglican Chapel. The church formed ties with the Methodist reform movement around 1776 and was an active Methodist church by 1789. In 1828, the church left the Methodist Episcopal Church and joined the Methodist Protestant Church. Later, in 1939, the Methodist Protestant Church merged with the Methodist Episcopal Church and the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, to create "the Methodist Church." In 1966, the church was designated the oldest Methodist church in continuous operation within the Rocky Mount District and one of the oldest Methodist churches in the United States.
The collection contains brief histories of the church and its ministers, a copy of the 1803 deed for the church, and photographs of portraits of Reverend Henry B. Bradford, an early church minister who the church was deeded to in 1803, and his wife. In addition, the collection contains photographs of Dr. William Henry Wills (1869), a minister at Eden Methodist-Protestant Church, photographs of the church, and also a photograph of an 1860 report card and an 1860 party invitation from Elba Female Seminary in Brinkleyville, N.C. (Halifax Co.).
A large portion of the correspondence pertains to "Homecoming" plans during the 1960s and 1970s, the church's designation for a North Carolina historic marker (1965), the visit of a British minister in observance of the 1966 Bi-Centennial of American Methodism, the work of women's organizations in the church, a church addition (1966) and possiblerestoration, and attempts (1967) to obtain a full-time pastor for West Halifax Circuit to which Eden Methodist Church belonged.
Other items pertaining to the Eden Methodist Church and its members include church bulletins (1943-1988), pamphlets, reports, minutes, newspaper clippings, newsletters (including The Circuit Rider), Sunday School records (1919, 1965-1968), membershp rolls (1944-1972, incomplete), the 1987 church directory, copies of listings for West Halifax Circuit officials (1970-1974), and limited financial records.
Miscellaneous items include a copy of a resolution opposing an effort to racially integrate jurisdictions within the North Carolina Annual Conference (1966), a Homecoming address (1977), and programs for Historic Halifax County tours that include Eden Methodist Church.
The following terms have been used to index the description of this collection in the Reading Room's card catalog. This system is no longer maintained, but it is left in place to help on-site researchers locate particular topics in the collection.
Online access to this finding aid is supported with funds created through the federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA). These funds come through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services which is administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources. This grant is part of the North Carolina ECHO, Exploring Cultural Heritage Online, Digitization Grant Program.