March 7, 2018, (unprocessed), 0.06 cubic feet;This donation of official records is the first of many that will document the history of Pitt County, North Carolina, schools from about 1910 until the 1970s, highlighting especially the era of segregation. Included here are the “Statement of Funds Needed for Six Months School on the Basis of Teachers’ Salaries, Showing the Length of School Provided by Pitt County for the year July 1, 1916, through June 30, 1917, with separate statements for “White” and “Colored” schools. Gift of Steven Anthony Hill.
August 3, 2018, (unprocessed addition 1), 7 cubic feet; Addition of Pitt County, North Carolina, schools material includes separate statements (1916-1917) of funds needed for "white" and "colored" schools; a letter (1924) from G. R. Whitfield, Supervisor for "Colored" Schools; audit reports (1928-1977); and scrapbooks (1970s-1980s) for Third Street School, C. M. Eppes Middle School, Third Street School, Greenville Middle School, and Agnes Fullilove School. Also included are building specifications and correspondence (1949-1982) related to Eastern Elementary, Fleming Street School, South Greenville Elementary, Greenville Middle School, Elmhurst Elementary, and Rose High School; football pamphlets for Rose High School; and trophy cups (1922, 1980). Gift of Steven Anthony Hill.
Gift of Steven Anthony Hill
Literary rights to specific documents are retained by the authors or their descendants in accordance with U.S. copyright law.
Pitt County, N.C., Schools Historical Records (#1323), East Carolina Manuscript Collection, J. Y. Joyner Library, East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina, USA