ECU | Joyner Library | Special Collections | Digital Collections
ECU Digital Collections Banner

Conoho Primitive Baptist Church Records, 1874-1949

Manuscript Collection #1223

Descriptive Summary Click here to collapse or expand the contents in this section of the finding aid

Title: Conoho Primitive Baptist Church Records
Creator: Conoho Primitive Baptist Church.
Repository: ECU Manuscript Collection
Languages: English
Abstract: Two minute books (September 1874-January 1949) for the Conoho Primitive Baptist Church that was located near Oak City, Martin County, North Carolina. The church was founded in 1794 by former members of Flat Swamp Church. The church building was torn down ca. 1970, leaving a cemetery still in existence.
Extent: 0.25 Cubic feet, 1 archival box, consisting of minute books

Administrative Information Click here to collapse or expand the contents in this section of the finding aid

Accessions Information

February 26, 2014, (unprocessed) 0.25 cubic feet; Two minute books (September 1874-December 1899; January 1900-June 1949) for the Conoho Primitive Baptist Church which was located near Oak City in Martin County, N.C. These minute books are given by Mavis Barton via Roger E. Kammerer, Jr.

Access Restrictions

No restrictions

Copyright Notice

Literary rights to specific documents are retained by the authors or their descendants in accordance with U.S. copyright law.

Preferred Citation

Conoho Primitive Baptist Church Records (#1223), East Carolina Manuscript Collection, J. Y. Joyner Library, East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina, USA.

Acquisition Information

  • Gift of Mavis Barton via Roger E. Kammerer, Jr.

Biographical / Historical Note Click here to collapse or expand the contents in this section of the finding aid

Conoho Primitive Baptist Church was located about 1 mile northwest of Oak City in Martin County, N.C., near Conoho Creek. It was originally called Conoho Log Chapel and was founded in 1794 by a group of people who had previously attended Flat Swamp Church. The church was torn down ca. 1970 after the death of the last member, leaving only the cemetery to mark its existence.

Sources: The Martin County Heritage book and a query re the Edmondson Family that is saved on the Martin-Family History & Genealogy Message Board.

What is this page? Click here to learn more abou this webpage
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held in the Special Collections Division, J.Y. Joyner Library, East Carolina University. The materials described here are physically available in our reading room. None of the original documents in this collection are digitally available online at this time.
ECU Centennial Logo

Finding Aids for Special Collections and University Archives

© 2002-2011 Joyner Library, East Carolina University

Contact Us ° Digital Collections
Feedback Form
Feedback Analytics