|Title:||Greenville High School Collection|
|Creator:||Ziglar, Peggy Nicholls|
|Repository:||ECU Manuscript Collection|
|Abstract:||Collection (1947-1951, undated) of programs relating to various organizations at Greenville High School, Greenville, NC. Organizations include the glee club, Dramateers and the football team.|
|Extent:||0.01 Cubic feet, 23 items , High School Programs|
January 6, 2003, 23 items, 75 p., 0.01 cubic feet; Collection (1947-1951) of programs relating to the Greenville High School Band, Glee Club, Dramateers, Greenville-Kinston Football Game, Commencement exercises, etc. compiled by a member of the Class of 1951. Donor: Peggy Nicholls (Mrs. Richard V.) Ziglar
Literary rights to specific documents are retained by the authors or their descendants in accordance with U.S. copyright law.
Greenville High School Collection (#902), East Carolina Manuscript Collection, J. Y. Joyner Library, East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina, USA.
Processed by Nicole Calderon, April 22, 2010
Processed by Dale Sauter, 2010
Encoded by Apex Data Services
The first public high school in Greenville, North Carolina was established in 1903 on Evans Street, on the present site of Sheppard Memorial Library. In 1915, a new high school building was built on what is now an East Carolina University parking lot, located at the intersection of Fifth and Reade Streets. E. S. Peele served as the first principal of the school in this building. On Wednesday, April 12, 1927, fire engulfed and destroyed the original building. A new building was constructed soon thereafter, soon to be followed by the addition of an auditorium-gymnasium.
In 1955 ground was broken for a new high school on South Elm Street. On November 14, 1957, the building was opened and dedicated as Rose High School. Historically, African-Americans attended C. M. Eppes High School near the current intersection of West Fifth Street and Memorial Drive. Eppes officially began as a high school in 1942. When the majority of the Eppes campus burned on January 28, 1970, integration at the high school level was accelerated with all students attending Rose High School. In 1992 Rose High School opened a new building on Arlington Boulevard, which is its current location.
The donor of this collection attended Greenville High School, graduating in 1951. She was a member of the school's Mixed Chorus.
The collection consists of various programs and other related printed materials documenting student events at Greenville High School in Greenville, NC during the years 1948 through1951. The bulk of these relate to activities of the glee club, the mixed chorus and the high school band. Also included is a program from the 1949 Homecoming football game in which Greenville played Kinston. In addition to the programs, there are tickets attached to some of the programs as well. Also present are schedules for choral competitions and a school fashion show. For more details, see container list below.
Online access to this finding aid is supported with funds created through the federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA). These funds come through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services which is administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources. This grant is part of the North Carolina ECHO, Exploring Cultural Heritage Online, Digitization Grant Program.