The Great Swamp Primitive Baptist Church began about 1776 as the Tar River branch of the Flat Swamp Primitive Baptist Church of Pitt County, North Carolina. In 1795, they petitioned to be dismissed from the Flat Swamp church and constituted as the Great Swamp Church. The original church was located four miles north of Greenville, North Carolina. In 1922, the church sold their original church and built a new church on property they already owned on Cotanche and East 10th Street in Greenville. Two blocks of Cotanche was renamed Forbes Street , and the church still stands at 913 Forbes Street. By 1980, the fellowship of the Great Swamp Church had dwindled, and the church dissolved that year.
Marvin Elias Garner (1918-1981) was the last pastor for the Great Swamp Primitive Baptist Church. Marvin Garner joined the Great Swamp church in July 1956, became a church deacon in March 1957, and was ordained as a minister for the church in January 1959. He served as pastor until the church dissolved in 1980.
1 Copeland, Elizabeth H.
Chronicles of Pitt County, North Carolina, 1982. Greenville, N.C.: The Society, 1982, p. 117
2 Biggs, Joseph.
A Concise History of the Kehukee Baptist Association, From Its Original Rise to the Present Time. [Tarborough (N. C.)]: Printed and published by George Howard, office of the Tarborough Free Press, 1834, p.281.
3 Hunsucker, Sandra E., Patricia M. Moore, and Elizabeth H. Sparrow.
Chronicles of Pitt County, North Carolina. Volume II. Winston-Salem, N.C.: Published by Pitt County Historical Society in cooperation with Jostens Pub. Co, 2005, p. 208.
5 Cotter, Michael, Kate Ohno, and Mary Hollis Barnes.
The Architectural Heritage of Greenville, North Carolina. Greenville, N.C.: Greenville Area Preservation Association, 1988, p.112.