Collection (1939-1970) of handbooks and manuals relating to operation and maintenance of radar, radio, oscilloscopes and electronics navigation equipment; Polaris fleet ballistic missile weapons systems; World War II vessels, naval operations and battle damage; sonar; loran; Navy chaplains; and the Chaplain Corps in the Vietnamese Conflict.
The United States Navy Bureau of Ships was formed in 1940 from a merger of the Bureau of Construction and Repair and the Bureau of Engineering. Its primary duty was the design, construction, and maintenance of ships, including their stability, strength, seaworthiness, and any additional qualities necessary for the performance of their functions. The Bureau of Ships was organized into five divisions called the Administrative Division, Design Division, War Plans Division, Shipbuilding Division, and Maintenance Division with subsidiary organizational structures within each branch. From its organization in 1940 to the end of the Second World War in 1945, the Bureau of Ships was responsible for the construction of 8 million tons of new ships and the acquisition of an additional 5 million tons of acquired or converted existing ships. It continued this remarkable rate of production during the Cold War era, producing the first supercarriers and surface-to-air missile carrying warships in the 1950s and the first nuclear powered submarine, followed by the first nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarine, in 1960. The Bureau of Ships was replaced by the Naval Ship Systems Command, now known as Naval Sea Systems Command, in 1966.
Julius Augustus Furer. Administration of the Navy Department in World War II (1959). U.S. Govt. Print. Off. pp. 210, 223-225)
Norman Friedman. U.S. Submarines Since 1945: An Illustrated Design History (1994). Annapolis, Maryland. United States Naval Institute. pp. 101-107
Gift of Smithsonian Institute
Encoded by Apex Data Services
Literary rights to specific documents are retained by the authors or their descendants in accordance with U.S. copyright law.