|Title:||Marshal L. and Rebecca Starkey Collection|
|Creator:||Greenville High School, Greenville, NC.|
|Repository:||ECU Manuscript Collection|
|Abstract:||Copy of Greenville High School Yearbook (1928)|
|Extent:||0.11 Cubic feet, 1 folder, yearbook|
November 3, 1999, 1 item; Copy of Greenville High School yearbook (1928). Donor: Mr. & Mrs. Marshal L. Starkey.
Literary rights to specific documents are retained by the authors or their descendants in accordance with U.S. copyright law.
Marshal L. and Rebecca Starkey Collection (#787), East Carolina Manuscript Collection, J. Y. Joyner Library, East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina, USA.
Encoded by Apex Data Services
Processed by Marty Tschetter January 2011
From 1915 through 1956, Greenville High School was located in downtown Greenville, North Carolina near the corner of East Fifth Street and Reade Circle. The property served as a junior high school through the late 1960s. Currently this land is a parking lot owned by East Carolina University.
In 1915, the city built a new high school at this site that lasted until April 1927, when a fire engulfed the structure. Soon the building was replaced and upgraded to a larger facility. The second school was used through the 1956 school year, until the new J. H. Rose High was opened on Elm Street. The school was named after longtime educator and Superintendent Junius Harris Rose. The current location of the high school on Arlington Boulevard has been in use since the 1991-1992 school year.
From the 1920s through the spring of 1942 Greenville African American high school students attended the Fleming Street School. By the fall of 1942, students were relocated to a property at West Fifth Street, between Memorial Drive and Nash Street. The school’s name was formally changed in September 1942 to C.M. Eppes High School in honor of educator Charles Montgomery Eppes who had passed away during that same summer. Greenville High School had class yearbooks from 1918-1925. The Class of 1926 had a “Memory Book” that was commercially produced but only had information about the senior class.
This 1928 Greenville High School “Memory Book” consists of photocopies of the original and appears homeade. The original yearbook used 79 actual photographs. These included images of 66 seniors, Miss Elizabeth Toland (who the yearbook is dedicated to), Superintendent J.H. Rose and images of faculty with listings of the subjects they taught. The principal was James A. Keech. Also included in the back is one postcard (circa 1970s and obviously added later by the yearbook owner) showing Tweetsie Railroad Amusement Park, near Blowing Rock, North Carolina. Also included in the yearbook are student’s quotes and listing of school activities they participated in. The yearbook also features a senior poem, a class history written by Bondie Dickinson and Charles Whedbee, a last will and testament, a class prophecy, superlatives and the mention of a young child named Betty Thomas Tyson, a class sponsor.
Online access to this finding aid is supported with funds created through the federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA). These funds come through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services which is administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources. This grant is part of the North Carolina ECHO, Exploring Cultural Heritage Online, Digitization Grant Program.