ECU | Joyner Library | Special Collections | Digital Collections
ECU Digital Collections Banner

Lewis S. Bullock Papers, 1934-1954, 1978

Manuscript Collection #632

Descriptive Summary Click here to collapse or expand the contents in this section of the finding aid

Title: Lewis S. Bullock Papers
Creator: Bullock, Lewis S.
Repository: ECU Manuscript Collection
Languages: English
Abstract: Scrapbooks (1934-1954), containing correspondence, clippings, photographs, programs, and other material related to Lewis S. Bullock's work developing and conducting community choruses formed in rural Eastern North Carolina towns in the 1930s, the Eastern Carolina Symphonic Choral Association, the North Carolina Symphonic Choir, the International Male Chorus in the U.S. Army during World War II and the American Male Chorus which was formed after the war ended and finally disbanded in 1954.
Extent: 6.5 Cubic feet, 19 archival boxes.

Administrative Information Click here to collapse or expand the contents in this section of the finding aid

Accessions Information

November 12, 1991 (unprocessed), 11 volumes; Scrapbooks (1934-1942), containing correspondence, clippings, photographs, and other materials for community choruses, the Eastern Carolina Symphonic Choral Association, and the North Carolina Symphonic Choir. Donor: Mr. and Mrs. Lewis S. Bullock.

November 26, 1991 (unprocessed addition 1), 11 volumes; Scrapbooks (1945-1954), containing correspondence, clippings, photographs, programs, and other materials for the International Male Chorus and and the American Male Chorus. Donor: Mr. and Mrs. Lewis S. Bullock.

April 15, 1992 (unprocessed addition 2), ca. 300 items, 4 volumes; Papers (1941-1954), including correspondence, clippings, photographs, programs, and scrapbooks for American Male Chorus and the North Carolina Symphonic Choir. Donor: Mr. & Mrs. Lewis S. Bullock.

February 26, 1996 (unprocessed addition 3), 2 volumes; Tour book (1946) and reunion album (1978) for International Male Chorus. Donor: Mr. and Mrs. Lewis S. Bullock.

November 26, 2012 (unprocessed addition 4), 2 items, 0.002 cubic feet; Records include programs for the Fifth Annual Spring Music Festival of the Eastern Carolina Symphonic Choral Association held in Greenville, NC, on May 6th through May 10th, 1940, and for the 1941 Trans-Continental Tour of the North Carolina Symphonic Choir. Donor: David Hursh.

Access Restrictions

No restrictions

Copyright Notice

Literary rights to specific documents are retained by the authors or their descendants in accordance with U.S. copyright law.

Preferred Citation

Lewis S. Bullock Papers (#632), East Carolina Manuscript Collection, J. Y. Joyner Library, East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina, USA.

Acquisition Information

  • Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Lewis S. Bullock
  • Gift of David Hursh

Processing Information

  • Encoded by Apex Data Services


Biographical / Historical Note Click here to collapse or expand the contents in this section of the finding aid

Lewis S. Bullock, a native of Detroit, Michigan, grew up in Kalamazoo, Michigan, where he attended Western State Teachers College for a year and then graduated from Westminster Choir College in Ithaca, New York, and later Princeton, New Jersey. In the mid-1930s after his college days, he was invited to Eastern North Carolina to organize community choruses in rural North Carolina towns. Then he developed and conducted the Eastern Carolina Symphonic Choral Association which became the North Carolina Symphonic Choir; this choir toured in New York and California and held a 1942 Victory Tour. After the Victory Tour, he was inducted in the U.S. Army where he formed several military choirs during World War II, culminating in the development of the International Male Chorus. After the war ended, this choir returned to the United States and performed at hospitals in California before the members were discharged from the Army. Mr. Bullock then formed the American Male Chorus which played at Carnegie Hall in 1947 and had a National Good Will Tour before it disbanded in 1954.

Online access to this finding aid is supported with funds created through the federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA). These funds come through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services which is administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources. This grant is part of the North Carolina ECHO, Exploring Cultural Heritage Online, Digitization Grant Program.

What is this page? Click here to learn more abou this webpage
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held in the Special Collections Division, J.Y. Joyner Library, East Carolina University. The materials described here are physically available in our reading room. None of the original documents in this collection are digitally available online at this time.
ECU Centennial Logo

Finding Aids for Special Collections and University Archives

© 2002-2011 Joyner Library, East Carolina University

Contact Us ° Digital Collections
Feedback Form
Feedback Analytics