|Title:||William Howard Hooker Collection: Washington W. Hayman Field Book|
Hayman, Washington W.
Hooker, William Howard
|Repository:||ECU Manuscript Collection|
|Abstract:||Surveyor's field book (1839) for lands along the Pungo River in Hyde and Beaufort Counties.|
|Extent:||0.015 Cubic feet, 1 item , surveyor's field book, 33.5 cm. 21 cm. 36 pp.|
May 24, 1983, 1 volume; surveyor's field book (1839) for lands along the Pungo River in Hyde and Beaufort Counties. Gift of Mr. William Howard Hooker, Marietta, Georgia.
Literary rights to specific documents are retained by the authors or their descendants in accordance with U.S. copyright law.
William Howard Hooker Collection: Washington W. Hayman Field Book (#472-001), East Carolina Manuscript Collection, J. Y. Joyner Library, East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina, USA.
Processed by T. McDustrell, July 1983
Encoded by Apex Data Services
The field book, compiled in 1839-1840 by Washington W. Hayman of Beaufort County, contains abstracts of descriptions of land located in Beaufort County and Hyde County on or near the junction of the Pamlico and Pungo Rivers or their tributaries, including Broad Creek, Jordan Creek, Indian Run, Bath Creek, Smith's Creek, Scott's Creek, and Pungo Creek. It comprises volume one of a two-volume set, and includes an index of names through the letter "H."
The abstracts, dated randomly from 1716 to 1840, indicate the owner of the property, its size, and boundaries. Some of the plats are notable because of their detail and the use of watercolors denoting waterways and boundary lines. Several plats contain crude sketches of residences. Of particular interest is a reference to 8,000 acres surveyed for John Gray Blount in 1794. Also of interest is a detailed plat of land on the west side of Bath Creek near its mouth.
Inserted in the field book is a loose assemblage of papers. Included in it is a deed search performed for William Webster by William Boyd, for land located near Gum Swamp in southeastern Beaufort County. The property, a total of 860 acres, was acquired by Edward Moseley between 1715 and 1729. The land was sold to William Webster June 6, 1729, who in turn sold parcels of varying size.
There is also a plat of adjoining properties located at Deep Run, Broad Creek, and other bodies of water, owned by Nathaniel B. Archbell, Richard Hollowell, James Adams, David Wright, Nathaniel Wright, William Davis, William Eborn, and John Satchwell. Of particular interest is a plat, rendered in watercolor, of a 200-acre tract of land located at the fork of Ingo Creek and Pantego Creek, made by David Latham in 1850. There are four other crude plats of land in the area, drawn by Latham in 1850 and 1851.
Some interesting place names mentioned among the loose papers are Devils Woodyard, Old Hare Creek, and Dividing Creek.
Online access to this finding aid is supported with funds created through the federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA). These funds come through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services which is administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources. This grant is part of the North Carolina ECHO, Exploring Cultural Heritage Online, Digitization Grant Program.