|Title:||John Gideon Taylor Family Papers|
|Creator:||John Gideon Taylor family|
|Repository:||ECU Manuscript Collection|
|Abstract:||Papers (1782-1936, undated) including correspondence, legal papers, estate papers, financial papers, post cards, newspapers, and miscellany.|
|Extent:||0.43 Cubic feet, 190 items , consisting of correspondence, legal papers, estate papers, financial papers, post cards, newspapers, and miscellany.|
March 22, 1982, 175 items; Pitt County, N.C., family papers (1820-1936), including correspondence, land records, financial records, estate papers, and miscellaneous. Gift of Miss Alya Ray Taylor, Greenville, N.C.
Literary rights to specific documents are retained by the authors or their descendants in accordance with U.S. copyright law.
John Gideon Taylor Family Papers (#441), East Carolina Manuscript Collection, J. Y. Joyner Library, East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina, USA.
Processed by K. Elmore, July 1982
Encoded by Apex Data Services
John Gideon Taylor (1850-1938) was a native of the Bethel area of Pitt County and spent his entire life in Pitt County. His family moved to Greenville in 1918. He engaged in farming and worked as a builder and sawmill worker. Taylor served as a member of the Pitt County Board of Commissioners and as a member of the Board of Drainage Commissioners of Pitt County Drainage District No. 2. He contributed money to the construction of Highway 11 from Stokes to within six miles of Bethel and to the drainage of Grindle Creek. John Gideon Taylor was buried in the family cemetery in Pitt County. In 1993 his grave site was moved from the family cemetery to Cherry Hill cemetery in Greenville by his grandson William C. Taylor, Jr.
The John Gideon Taylor Family Papers reflect scattered activities of John Gideon Taylor, his ancestors, and his children. Correspondence (1827-1930, undated) comprises approximately half of the collection. Letters of particular interest pertain to the attractiveness of farming in the vicinity of Somerville, Tennessee (1827); the routine interests and activities of William H. Taylor, a soldier in Company E of the 3rd Regiment of N.C. State Troops in Virginia (1862-1863); and the routine interests and activities of the sons of John Gideon Taylor as they served in the American Expeditionary Force in Europe during World War I (1918-1919). Post cards depicting Greenville (1907, 1910, 1912, undated), Washington (1910), Rocky Mount (1911-1913), Farmville (1913), Wilson (1910, 1911), Buies Creek (1908), Raleigh (1908), Asheville (1913), Benson (1913), Salisbury (1912), Elm City (1908), North Carolina; Nashville, Tennessee (1911-1912); Conway (1911), St. Matthews (1908), Charleston (1913), and Florence (1910), South Carolina; Birmingham, Alabama (1911); Norfolk (1912-1913), Virginia; Tampa, Florida(1911); Chicago (1908); Washington, D.C. (1917); and the USS UTAH (1917) are contained in the collection.
The collection also contains land grants, land grant abstracts, deeds, court orders, and other legal documents pertaining to land and personal property in Pitt County owned by the Whitley, Whitehurst, Barnhill, Clark, and Taylor families (1782-1936). Included is a contract between the Taylor family and the Greenville firm of Ballard & Ballard for renovations to the Taylor home in Greenville (1925).
Estate papers pertain to the sale of property of John Taylor (1825) and Nehemiah Taylor (1859-1860) and to the estates of other members of the family. Also among these papers is the undated will of Arrity (?) Moore of Pitt County.
The John Gideon Taylor Family Papers also contain financial papers (1831-1925) and a file of miscellaneous material. Included in the latter file are a list of Taylor family births (1740-1791), a typescript obituary of John Gideon Taylor (1935), and unused post cards depicting scenes in North Carolina.
A folder of oversize material contains copies of The Wild Cat (1919), published by the U.S. Army's Eighty-First Division, and copies of the Greenville Daily Reflector (Aug. 19, Nov. 6, 8, 1912).
The following terms have been used to index the description of this collection in the Reading Room's card catalog. This system is no longer maintained, but it is left in place to help on-site researchers locate particular topics in the collection.
Images below are listed alphabetically by subject. This list reflects only those portions of the collection for which negatives have been prepared.BUILDING AND ARCHITECTURE— Buies Creek Academy and Business College
Below is material taken from a preliminary inventory and represents content from the collection that is unprocessed.
Online access to this finding aid is supported with funds created through the federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA). These funds come through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services which is administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources. This grant is part of the North Carolina ECHO, Exploring Cultural Heritage Online, Digitization Grant Program.