|Title:||Wilson Durward Leggett, Jr., Papers|
|Creator:||Leggett, Wilson Durward, Jr.|
|Repository:||ECU Manuscript Collection|
|Abstract:||Papers (1929-1956) including of correspondence, photographs, newspaper clippings, an order book, newsletters, letters, and miscellaneous.|
|Extent:||0.43 Cubic feet, 240 items , consisting of correspondence, photographs, newspaper clippings, an order book, newsletters, and miscellany.|
October 26, 1981, 195 items; Papers (1929-1957) of U.S. Navy officer, including correspondence (1938-1940), photographs, clippings, newsletters, articles, an order book, and miscellaneous items. Gift of Mrs. W. Durward Leggett, Washington, D.C.
Literary rights to specific documents are retained by the authors or their descendants in accordance with U.S. copyright law.
Wilson Durward Leggett, Jr., Papers (#435), East Carolina Manuscript Collection, J. Y. Joyner Library, East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina, USA.
Processed by S. Morgan, May 1983
Encoded by Apex Data Services
Rear Admiral Wilson Durward Leggett, Jr., a native of Tarboro, N.C., graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy in 1920 and obtained a master's degree in engineering from Columbia University. In 1931, after serving on battleships, cruisers, destroyers, and submarines, Captain Leggett began duties at the Navy's Bureau of Engineering (later Bureau of Ships), where he was responsible for instituting a program of diesel engine development. The program provided the Navy with diesel propulsion that was successfully utilized during World War II.
Leggett also served the Navy in other capacities. During World War II he held the positions of repair superintendent at Mare Island Naval Shipyard and Seventh Fleet maintenance officer. In 1947 he assumed command of the Navy's Engineering Equipment Station, where he was responsible for six research laboratories and projects pertaining to mechanical, chemical, and electrical engineering; internal combustion engines; acoustics and vibration; and metallurgy and welding. He was appointed deputy chief of the Bureau of Ships in 1951 and served as chief of that bureau from 1953 to 1955.
The majority of the correspondence (1938-1940, 1947, 1954), which consists of incoming letters and carbon copies of Leggett's replies, is of a personal nature. Letters from Leggett's friends and officers and sailors who previously served with him request his assistance in a variety of matters, including securing assignments or transfers to particular duty stations. A few of the letters comment on use of diesel engines or discuss machinery parts for naval vessels, including submarines, either under construction or deployed. Leggett's lengthy memorandum of June 27, 1940, to the head of shipbuilding discusses competitive bids for main propelling machinery for submarines and for the USS AUK (AM57).
Photographs (1938-1954) were collected by Leggett during the latter part of his career. Many of them depict Leggett, individually or in groups, at a variety of ceremonies, presentations, and inspections. Others show groups of unidentified sailors. Ten photographs taken at the United States Naval Training Station at Norfolk, Virginia, illustrate classroom instruction for sailors in a variety of subjects (1938). Some of the photographs were taken in the Philippine Islands. Aerial views (1945) depict a military installation at Subic Bay, and aerial and ground shots (undated) show widespread destruction of buildings at Manila. Also included are views of the Severn River Naval Command's launching of USS PT81, the Navy's first all-welded aluminum vessel (1950). Additional photographs depict aspects of the U.S. Navy Electronics Laboratory in San Diego (1949).
Newspaper articles (1948-1956, undated) primarily pertain to aspects of Leggett's career. Some of them discuss the Navy's controversial system of promoting captains to the rank of rear admiral and the case of Captain Hyman George Rickover in this regard. A newspaper tabloid (1954) discusses the launching of the USS NAUTILUS, the Navy's first nuclear-powered submarine. Additional articles (1954) discuss the history and centennial celebration of Mare Island Naval Shipyard.
Leggett's "Engineer Officers Night Order Book" (Jan. 14-25, 1929), kept aboard a vessel en route from San Diego to Balboa rendezvous point and Panama rendezvous point, lists operation procedures or orders to be followed by officers remaining in charge each night during the voyage. The volume also includes lists of comments concerning advantages and disadvantages of the electric drive submarine USS S-45, different companies' engines for it, and machinery needed for it.
Included in a file of printed material (1948-1955) are magazine articles, newsletters, and pamphlets discussing diesel engines, shipboard lubrication problems during World War II, the U.S. Naval Experiment Station at Annapolis and Leggett's role there, the Bureau of Ships, new developments in shipbuilding, and Leggett's career.
A file of miscellany contains a photograph and other material pertaining to the thirtieth reunion of the U.S. Naval Academy's Class of 1921 and a typescript, "The Diesel Engine- Its Past and Future."
Online access to this finding aid is supported with funds created through the federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA). These funds come through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services which is administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources. This grant is part of the North Carolina ECHO, Exploring Cultural Heritage Online, Digitization Grant Program.