This collection consists of genealogy notes taken by Mary Louisa Dixon Jones. Mrs. Jones was born in Craven County, North Carolina, and her husband, Horace Luther Jones, was born in Kinston, Lenoir County, North Carolina. Her notes pertain to ancestors of herself, her husband, and her children's families and spouses. The major family names found in her notes are Dixon, Street, Sugg, French, Fonville, Willis, Aldridge, Murphrey, Hardy, Heath, Pritchard, Jones, Skinner, Daughtery, Franck, Sutton, Montford, Brice, Brock, Cray and Slocumb. Numerous related families are represented in her notes. Most of these families resided in eastern North Carolina, many in Craven County, but many others resided in other areas of North Carolina and in states all along the Eastern Seaboard of the United States especially from Virginia southward. Other notes take family lines back to the countries of their origin.
There are a few miscellaneous items indirectly related to genealogy such as history notes on North Carolina, Maryland, and Virginia counties; information on English heraldry; and newspaper clippings and magazine articles concerning Miss Gertrude Carraway (undated), New Bern's Victory House (1943), a Cupola House official dying (1966), St. Paul's Church in Edenton (1948), Mrs. Lucy Phillips Russell of Rockingham (undated), and George Washington's royal ancestry. Other miscellaneous items are a program for courthouse fires, a list of dates for wills found in Virginia courthouses, notes on prominent Revolutionary War figures in North Carolina, information on Bellair Mansion near New Bern, a 1959 issue of
Transactions of the Huguenot Society of South Carolina, and Volume No. 6 (1952) of
South Carolina And Its People with entries pertaining to Moores and tombstone inscriptions from Old Stone Church Cemetery in Pendleton, South Carolina.
The oversize folder contains genealogy notes, a picture of the South Carolina State House, a chart of the descendants of Captain James and Elinor Mackilwean fromthe 1700's to the present, and a map of the Landgrave Ketelby's Barony in Colleton County, South Carolina.