|Title:||John G. Bashford Collection|
|Creator:||Bashford, John G.|
|Repository:||ECU Manuscript Collection|
|Abstract:||Collection (1872-1935, undated) relating to the medical practice of Dr. D. DeForest Douglass, Springfield, MA, 1872-1905, consisting of correspondence, financial papers, development of artificial limb fitting, receipts, mortgages, plat of land.|
|Extent:||0.22 Cubic feet, consisting of correspondence, financial papers, and miscellaneous.|
December 1, 1976, ca. 1000 items; Correspondence, financial papers, and miscellaneous material (1872-1922). Gift of Roger E. Kammerer, Jr., Swansboro, N.C.
Literary rights to specific documents are retained by the authors or their descendants in accordance with U.S. copyright law.
John G. Bashford Collection (#319), East Carolina Manuscript Collection, J. Y. Joyner Library, East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina, USA.
Processed by M. Quintanilla, October 1986
Encoded by Apex Data Services
The bulk of this collection is concerned with the medical practice of Dr. D. DeForest Douglass of Springfield, MA. The Douglass papers (1872-1905) concern his practice as a medical doctor and his involvement with the development of artificial limb fittings. Two letters, one from Brazil (June 28, 1893), and the other from Mexico (June 12, 1899) testify to his activities in this area. Included are financial accounts for leather, joints, eyelets, materials, and woods, as well as oxygen and several bills for limbs. Also contained are some receipts for home and office improvements and household purchases for the Douglass homes. Also included is a folder containing records (1902-1930) of Robert Epps of Henderson, N.C., including chattel mortgages, financial records, and a plat for land.
Online access to this finding aid is supported with funds created through the federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA). These funds come through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services which is administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources. This grant is part of the North Carolina ECHO, Exploring Cultural Heritage Online, Digitization Grant Program.