|Title:||Charles W. Smith, Jr., Collection|
|Creator:||Smith, Charles W.|
|Repository:||ECU Manuscript Collection|
|Abstract:||Collection (1868-1897) consisting of correspondence, contract and a newspaper.|
|Extent:||0.11 Cubic feet, 5 items , consisting of correspondence, contract, and a newspaper.|
June 4, 1973, 5 items; Papers (1868-1897), including correspondence, a contract, and a newspaper. Gift of Mr. Smith, New Bern, N.C.
Literary rights to specific documents are retained by the authors or their descendants in accordance with U.S. copyright law.
Charles W. Smith, Jr. (#228), East Carolina Manuscript Collection, J. Y. Joyner Library, East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina, USA.
Processed by D. Lennon, February 1975
Encoded by Apex Data Services
Correspondence in the collection pertains to politics and real estate. A letter (August, 1868) written from Queens County, N.Y., comments on national political activities and predicts an end to Radical [Republican] domination. The writer also cautions against publicizing pro-Confederate Democratic views. A second letter (February, 1890) pertains to the purchase of a 3,000 acre tract of land near Croatan by a Boston firm mentions the possible formation of an improvements syndicate in North Carolina using European capital.
Also included is a sharecroppers contract (1888) for farming land in Craven County, a description (undated) of Clermont Plantation on Trent River, and a copy of The Free Will Baptist (December 22, 1897).
For related material see: William E. Clarke Papers, #269.
The following terms have been used to index the description of this collection in the Reading Room's card catalog. This system is no longer maintained, but it is left in place to help on-site researchers locate particular topics in the collection.
Online access to this finding aid is supported with funds created through the federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA). These funds come through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services which is administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources. This grant is part of the North Carolina ECHO, Exploring Cultural Heritage Online, Digitization Grant Program.