|Title:||John Richard Tillery Papers|
|Creator:||Tillery, John Richard|
|Repository:||ECU Manuscript Collection|
|Abstract:||Papers (1853-1937, undated) consisting of correspondence, financial and legal papers, letters, records of insurance, papers on business and farming, genealogical records, etc.|
|Extent:||0.76 Cubic feet, 964 items , consisting of correspondence, financial records, land records, farm records, receipts, legal records, ledgers, and miscellaneous.|
July 20, 1971, ca. 250 items; Consisting of correspondence, financial accounts, receipts, land records, farm records, and miscellaneous.
October 12, 1971, ca. 350 items; Consisting of correspondence, ledgers, financial records, legal papers, farm records, and miscellaneous. Deposited by Mr. Charles L. Tillery, Jr., Halifax, N.C.
August 12, 1997, (unprocessed addition 1), 139 items; Papers (1837-1928) of Halifax County, N. C. family, including correspondence, deeds, legal records, financial records, contracts, clippings, insurance policies, photographs, and miscellany. Donor: Mr. William L. Murphy.
Literary rights to specific documents are retained by the authors or their descendants in accordance with U.S. copyright law.
John Richard Tillery Papers (#175), East Carolina Manuscript Collection, J. Y. Joyner Library, East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina, USA.
Processed by R. Weaver, April 1972
Encoded by Apex Data Services
This collection contains the correspondence, financial, and legal papers of John Richard Tillery (1836-1929), a lumber dealer and farmer of Halifax County.
Included in the correspondence (1866-1909) are several items of interest. One is a letter (April 22, 1868) from the Freedmen's Bureau to Richard Tillery requesting that he settle claims with three other men. Also contained in the correspondence are five letters (1882-1888) from Walter Clark to Tillery. In one letter (October 29, 1881), Clark suggests that the new town that is to be built at the junction of the Chowan and Southern Railroad with the Scotland Neck Railroad be named Clarksville, North Carolina. And in another letter (November 3, 1888), Tillery is instructed to sell Clark's cotton at nine cents per pound. Other letters of interest include one (November 17, 1893) from the Cobb Brothers, cotton merchants of Norfolk, Virginia, to Tillery informing him of the causes of the depression of the cotton market for that year; and one (July 1, 1895) deals with the appointment of Tillery as agent for the Southern Land Industrial Company of Chicago. A final letter of interest (May 11, 1893), from Thomas Hill to Tillery, pertains to Mush Island, which is on the Roanoke River near Weldon, North Carolina. This letter describes the size of the island and its crop potential.
Also in the collection are the legal records (1853-1897) of Tillery. Included are deeds to land, which the Tillery family bought in Halifax County, crop liens, and insurance policies.
The majority of the collection consists of the financial papers and account books (1860-1935) of the Tillery family. These papers mainly reflect business and farming operations in Halifax County, including the prices of lumber products and cotton for the last half of the nineteenth century.
Miscellaneous items include genealogical records of the Tillery family, a home cure for consumption, and several railroad passes.
The following terms have been used to index the description of this collection in the Reading Room's card catalog. This system is no longer maintained, but it is left in place to help on-site researchers locate particular topics in the collection.
Online access to this finding aid is supported with funds created through the federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA). These funds come through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services which is administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources. This grant is part of the North Carolina ECHO, Exploring Cultural Heritage Online, Digitization Grant Program.