ECU | Joyner Library | Special Collections | Digital Collections
ECU Digital Collections Banner

Alvin Drew School Collection, 1934-1969

Manuscript Collection #118

Descriptive Summary Click here to collapse or expand the contents in this section of the finding aid

Title: Alvin Drew School Collection
Creator: Alvin Drew School
Repository: ECU Manuscript Collection
Languages: English
Abstract: Collection (1934-1969) consisting of bulletin, program, histories, biographical sketches, copy of Pine Ridge Booster, missionary.
Extent: 0.073 Cubic feet, 6 items , consisting of a bulletin, a program, and histories.

Administrative Information Click here to collapse or expand the contents in this section of the finding aid

Accessions Information

March 11, 1970, 6 items (copies); Bulletin, program, and histories of Methodist Protestant school at Pine Ridge, Kentucky (1934-1969). Loaned for copying by Dr. Ralph Hardee Rives, Greenville, N.C.

Access Restrictions

No restrictions

Copyright Notice

Literary rights to specific documents are retained by the authors or their descendants in accordance with U.S. copyright law.

Preferred Citation

Alvin Drew School Collection (#118), East Carolina Manuscript Collection, J. Y. Joyner Library, East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina, USA.

Acquisition Information

  • Loaned by Dr. Ralph Hardee Rives

Processing Information

  • Processed by D. Lennon, August 1975

  • Encoded by Apex Data Services


Biographical / Historical Note Click here to collapse or expand the contents in this section of the finding aid

Alvin Drew School was a Methodist Protestant school which operated at Pine Ridge, Kentucky, between 1911 and 1947. The school was sponsored by the Women's Home Missionary Society of the Methodist Protestant Church in an effort to provide an educational opportunity to mountain children. Mrs. M. O. Everett, a church missionary from Washington, D.C., founded the school and operated it until Reverend and Mrs. Thomas Reeves Woodford replaced her in 1919. The Woodfords remained for fifteen years during which time the enrollment grew to 240 students.

Description Click here to collapse or expand the contents in this section of the finding aid

Included in the collection are biographical sketches of Dr. and Mrs. Woodford; a copy of the Pine Ridge Booster (1945), which is dedicated to Thomas Reeves Woodford; a class reunion program (1965); an alumni notice (1969); and a history of the school compiled by R. B. Stone of Lexington, Kentucky.

Subject Headings Click here to collapse or expand the contents in this section of the finding aid

Online access to this finding aid is supported with funds created through the federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA). These funds come through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services which is administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources. This grant is part of the North Carolina ECHO, Exploring Cultural Heritage Online, Digitization Grant Program.

What is this page? Click here to learn more abou this webpage
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held in the Special Collections Division, J.Y. Joyner Library, East Carolina University. The materials described here are physically available in our reading room. None of the original documents in this collection are digitally available online at this time.
ECU Centennial Logo

Finding Aids for Special Collections and University Archives

© 2002-2011 Joyner Library, East Carolina University

Contact Us ° Digital Collections
Feedback Form
Feedback Analytics