|Title:||Belvidere Academy Papers|
|Repository:||ECU Manuscript Collection|
|Abstract:||Papers (1856-1954) pertaining to the Perquimans County Quaker school.|
|Extent:||0.083 Cubic feet, 10 items , xerox copies, historical articles, pamphlet.|
September 19, 1967, 3 items (xerox copies); History of Belvidere, N.C., an article entitled Belvidere: A Quaker Stronghold by Catherine Albertson and a "History of Piney Woods Meeting, 1794-1954." Loaned for copying by Rev. Harold White, Belvidere, N.C. Originals at Guilford College, Greensboro.
October 22, 1968, 6 items (xerox copies); Piney Woods Meeting Bulletin (1954); "Historical Account of Friend's School, Now Known as Belvidere Academy," by Josiah Nicholson; school record (1895-1901); lists of faculty, and a clipping. Loaned for copying by Rev. Harold White, Belvidere, N.C. Originals at Guilford College, Greensboro, N.C.
June 14, 1999, (unprocessed addition 1), 1 item, 16 p., 0.010 cubic feet; Mary Jordan White 1859-1909: a biography of a beloved student, teacher, and principal, 1896-1909, of Belvidere Academy, a Quaker School, in the predominantly Quaker village of Belvidere, near Hertford in Perquimans County, North Carolina; also including excerpts from the scores of letters received after her death, by Anonymous.  Printed pamphlet. Recd. 6/14/1999. Donor: William E. "Mickey" Elmore.
Literary rights to specific documents are retained by the authors or their descendants in accordance with U.S. copyright law.
Belvidere Academy Papers (#4), East Carolina Manuscript Collection, J. Y. Joyner Library, East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina, USA.
Processed by D. Lennon; M. Elmore, September 1984
Encoded by Apex Data Services
Material in the collection is devoted entirely to the history of the Society of Friends in Eastern North Carolina. The focus of the articles is Belvidere, located in Perquimans County, N.C., which was the point of origin of the Friends of North Carolina. The Perquimans County "Meeting" of the Society of Friends was for a time the largest Friends community in North Carolina.
The article, by Catherine Albertson, entitled Belvidere: A Quaker Stronghold, traces the development of the Friends Society in Perquimans County from 1672 through 1954. The history of the Belvidere Academy, a Friends school, is traced from 1833 until its transfer to the North Carolina Public School System in 1914.
The "History of Piney Woods Meeting, 1794-1954" and Belvidere present less detailed accounts of the Friends of Perquimans County and the Belvidere Academy.
Below is material taken from a preliminary inventory and represents content from the collection that is unprocessed.
Online access to this finding aid is supported with funds created through the federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA). These funds come through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services which is administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources. This grant is part of the North Carolina ECHO, Exploring Cultural Heritage Online, Digitization Grant Program.