Access to articles in regional publications that pertain to a wide range of North Carolina-related topics.

Colorful Era of Drover's Road


Author(s):
Abstract:
A two hundred mile stretch of trail ran from Paint Rock bordering Tennessee to the Saluda Gap on the edge of South Carolina. Because seventy miles of the trail was difficult to travel, especially for cattle, a new road from the Saluda Gap to the Tennessee line was purposed in 1827. This became known as the Buncombe Turnpike, and it increased business greatly and lifted the economy of western North Carolina. By the 1870s, the railroad began moving west, and the stock driving was replaced by the more lucrative transport of corn and other cash crops.
Source:
Record #:
9590
Full Text: