Cornelia Phillips Spencer led the movement for North Carolina to make a flag to be included in the centennial Independence celebration in 1876. While only a decade removed from the Civil War, Spencer believed North Carolina's Revolutionary heroes should be honored with North Carolina's participation in the celebration. The flag hung in Independence Hall for a year. It was then returned to North Carolina where it was placed in the Wilson Library at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Eventually the flag was taken down and stored away, but it has since been lost.