Dr. John Carr Monk converted to Catholicism and founded St. Mark's Church in Newton Grove in 1871. Concerned with the salvation of the souls of newly freed slaves, Monk asked Father Mark S. Gross of Wilmington to visit. Gross visited Newton Grove once a month and baptized large groups of converts, both black and white. The church structure itself was not built until 1874, and Mass was held in Dr. Monk's house until that time. Monk died in 1877 and was buried behind the church. St. Mark's was renamed Our Lady of Guadalupe in 1958 following integration.