In 1844 on his way to the Democratic National Convention, James K. Polk spent the night at Magnolia Grove, the mansion of David Smith located in southern Lincoln County. The first tavern of the area, Dellinger's Tavern, stood just behind Magnolia Grove and not more than a hundred yards from the mansion was a rock building that would become the first jailhouse and first courthouse in Lincoln County. The construction of the main house at Magnolia Grove is truly remarkable for its state of preservation. Some of the bricks still bear fingerprints from the original masons. Magnolia Grove has been in the Love family since 1972 and it was Ed and Elizabeth Love who took such care to restore the house. The furniture is not from the 1820s, but the rest of the house still has original woodwork and plaster. The basement, once used to chain slaves, has metal rings in the walls. The bedroom where Polk slept is perfectly preserved.