In 1895 and 1896, retired Boston merchant James W. Tufts bought Moore County land to develop the Sandhills Village of Pinehurst. He did not intend it for golf, but rather as a warm climate resort for retirees and for those in ill health. He added a golf course when his Northern guests began arriving with their golf clubs and looking for a course to play. Master golf architect Donald Ross designed the course, and Pinehurst began its rise to one of the top golfing destinations in the world. Pittard discusses Pinehurst's early history and memorable golfing moments.