North Carolina's governor's mansion in Raleigh was completed in 1891, but little money was given to creating a landscape. When Daniel G. Fowle, the first governor to occupy the mansion, visited the Biltmore Estate, George Vanderbilt asked him how the house was coming. Fowle replied that the grounds were hopeless. Vanderbilt then dispatched Gifford Pinchot to Raleigh to work on the gardens. Silcox-Jarrett traces the development of the mansion's landscaping from Pinchot's early work to the present.