The Lafayette House was built before 1790 on land adjoining Contentnea Creek in Lenoir County. At that time England ruled the land and the county was named Dobbs. After 1890, the house became a tenant house and then a vacant house. Gerald Tripp purchased the house for restoration in 1979. Harker describes the work on the house, which had never known plumbing, central heat, wiring, and the telephone before the Tripps installed them.