Sugarloaf Island sits across the water from Morehead City’s waterfront. First deeded to a local citizen in 1818, many residents in Morehead City today remember playing on the island as children. Fishermen used the small island to dry nets while the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers used the area to dump dredge spoil. In 2002, the town purchased the island as a city park and installed a foot path, boat dock, and rest rooms to increase accessibility and ease of use. Various species have been identified on the island and are recorded in an interpretive trail map.