The breakwater at Cape Lookout was first constructed in 1915 as a means of improving harbor safety. Constructed from North Carolina quarried granite, the stone was brought by train from Raleigh to Morehead City. From there, it was transported eleven miles to the dumping point on scows and derric boats in 1,000 ton loads. The breakwater measured approximately 100 feet in length and cost 3.5 million dollars to build. Construction took 18 months and involved over 30 vessels carrying materials to site.