Access to articles in regional publications that pertain to a wide range of North Carolina-related topics.

Remembering the Roxy Theatre


Author(s):
Abstract:
“The Roxy,” one of the last Art Deco buildings left in Greenville, is located at 629 Albemarle Avenue. The story began in 1947 when Jasper L. Tripp purchased the lot and formed “The Roxy Theatre, Inc.” with Roy L. Tripp and J. R. Cullifer. They immediately set about building a theatre for black patrons which was completed in 1948. John W. Warner, who managed the older “Plaza Theatre” on Albemarle Ave. was also a silent partner in the Roxy. Warner made several black films and eventually owned the Roxy Theatre. The theatre was leased in 1975 to Bill (Shep) Shepard and Buddy Alcorn, who turned the Roxy into a center of the arts, neighborhood development and popular parties. The Roxy Theatre building was bought in 1979 by William Myles Nobles, Greenville native and famous national songwriter active in the 1950’s and 1960’s.
Record #:
23682