The second in a series of articles examining of the formative years of industrial electric supply systems, specifically the Southern Power Company that would become the Duke Power Company in 1924. By that time, the company was already important to the region's industrial development. Storm and flood damage in 1916 led to the construction of three more dams along the Catawba River and the company gained a rate increase in 1921 as well. In 1924, the company also established the Duke Endowment and Charitable Foundation and reorganized Trinity College into Duke University. For its philanthropic work, the Duke Power Company was given even better rates.