In 1937, William Hayes Ackland approached Duke University and offered to endow an art museum. To receive the endowment, Ackland stipulated that his body, preserved in a sarcophagus must be kept in the museum. This requirement was received by Duke president William P. Few, who negotiated the agreement with Ackland. After both Few and Ackland died in 1940, Duke Trustees decided to back out of the agreement, to the dismay of prominent alumni. As a result of that decision the generous endowment with to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill instead.